Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I recently purchased new Flo-tek aluminum heads and Patriot Tri-Y headers along with the drop down bracket for the power steering ram to clear the headers. I am have trouble getting the ram to move down to the new location required by the drop down bracket and don't want to just reef on it to get it to fit and damage or break something in the process. the parts come with very limited instructions and say to just replace the original bracket with this new one from "Headman Headers". I have tried to push donw the ram rod and it will not go down to the desired level without using what I consider excessive force and don't want to bend of break anything to justs get the bracket installed if I am missing something that others have come across and maakes the proceedure simple and correct. I noticed that the ram does run all the way to the middle of the car, under the engine and is attacked to part of the steering with a substantial "king nut" with a cotter pin to hold it in place. Maybe this has to be loosened to accomplish this task? Maybe the hoses that are attached are too old and stiff and are holding the unit from moving down the couple of inches required to clear the headers. ( these are full size Patriot Tri-Y Headers that I am installing)
I would appreciate any suggestions on what I need to do to acheave this somewhat simple proceedure, seems nothing is simple to do on this car as of late... Don't know if it is old hoses that are holding it back or if I need to loosen the nut at the center of the car that is attached with a "king nut with a cotter pin to keep it snug in place). I am sure there has to be at least a few of you guys out there that has done this and look to you for the knowledge of what to do to make this proceedure go forward with the least amout of damage and effort.
As always, I thank those who have taken the time to read my post and and VERY Gratefull to those who can give me any help in setting this up!!
I look forward to hearing from those informed, I am stuck at this point and don't know what to do at this point. I have remover the nut and the large washer and grommet( along with the old hanger bracket). I am just looking for information on how to get the ram rod down to where it needs to be.
Thanks to alll
Charlie

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The ram should come down with minimal effort and yes it is likely that the ram to control valve hoses might be old/hard and preventing you from doing so easily. You should not have to loosen the castellated nut as the stud is a ball joint and the ram should pivot/turn on the stud, again with minimal effort. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Take a look at the heavy duty drop braket Don R sells at WCCC. That's the one to use. Even welded that thin material can still flex. The one Don sells is much better.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Steering will be tighter with the drop bracket because you are compressing the ram with the drop, Tim is correct, you should weld the bracket it will come loose. Don't over tighten the ram to the bracket it will restrict your turning radius. All the steering parts have to work together don't force one at the risk of another.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hopefully that bracket is not too long. The extra leverage can actually start to bend the frame where the bracket attaches. The frame on our cars where that bracket attaches was not made thick enough to handle that kind of torque. I ended up switching to standard steering on my '68 back in '83 because of that.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There REALLY is only one good solution for the drop down bracket and this is it.

Here is a (lousy) picture of the bracket installed on my car showing what makes the difference:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts