Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 1968 cougar gt body off of a friend of mine.i'am either going to part it out or sell it on ebay or something it is restorable for sure.i do not know alot about cougars ,i did own a nice 67 once and liked it. my question is what motor did this car have in it. it has an S code as the fifth didgit in the vin.is this the same as the mustang a 390 please let me know.if anyone is interested in the car it does have a title and i'am in southern ohio.what are the original styled steel wheels go for with center caps?they are on the car they will stay on it if i sell it like it is if not i will put them on ebay.is there any place on the internet i can go to decode this car.i have a 1969 torino cobra-jet and i know a guy that has a site that has all the codes on it.does any cougar enthusiast have a site with such numbers?

·
Registered
889 Posts
S code

The S is for the 390gt motor before puting it on e bay how much do you want for it? let me knowPut the vin up here we have some people that can do that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
68 cougar gt body

thanks,i will get the complete vin off of it and post it tomorrow.i will think about what i want to ask for it and get some pictures of it.it is just a body, pretty much everything but motor and transmission.you are up toward springfield right.i'am right outside chillicothe in ross county.thanks and i'll let you know

greg thomas

·
11,000 Posts
By the way, the 390GT motor does not make the car a GT for sure. The 390GT engine was available seperately from the GT package in 1968.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will get the complete vin off the car tomorrow.it does have the gt emblems on the fenders also,but of course they could have been added .but i'am pretty sure it is an original 68 cougar gt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will get some pics.i just got this car this week.it is still on the trailer.it is going to have to completely restore it.but it is a real 428 cj 4-speed car Q code.i got it out of a barn where it had been for 10 years but it has not been tagged since 1979 it has 1979 kentucky licence paltes still on it 56,000 miles on body but needs alot of work but i will get it done in the nextfew years.

·
11,000 Posts
I just noticed you are in Ohio. I am in the Cincinnati area. Would like to see the GT. My phone is 859-743-9774.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check out the VIN/Dataplate decoder link at www.cougarclub.org

Also, while I have the attention of the Ohio contingent, I'm in the market for a 67 or 68 GT restored or good original. Please keep me in mind out there....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is the vin# 9F93S513391
i did not get home until dark so i could not get pics.the car needs a complete restoration.the floorboard are bad,torque boxes,rockers seem okay and trunk area seems pretty solid.i personally think it is worth saving.i do not really want to part it out but i don't need anymore projects and need money for the ones i have so i'am going to do what ever i have to to get the most out of it i can.i will not touch it at all until i give people a chance at buying the whole car that might want to restore it and make it a nice car.i do remember the car from years ago.it used to set at a local trailer court.it was olive green with white interior.someone primered on it but you can still see some of the green and interior is a little dirty white now.if you are interested my e-mail is [email protected] and i will definately get some pictures by saturday night.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got a few pics of the cougar,i need e-mail address of interested people so i can send them out.i would like to get $800.00 for it.it can be restored and i think i can get that on ebay or by parting it out.let me know

greg thomas

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Doesn't that VIN point to a 1969 XR7 (w/ 390GT engine)?

By the way, the CCOA decoder didn't decode anything for me, I entered my VIN and body codes and then it took me to a new page that redisplayed my VIN and body codes (didn't give me any new information, like engine/color/interior etc. I know most of it, but I'm still wondering about a couple of things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
greggieatthebat,

One guy I was inquiring with about a possible deal sent me a nice report specific to his cougar giving full description of his car's options, dealership ordering info, production dates, and statistics on how many were built with his particular options etc. It was from MartiAutoWorks, 12007 W. Peoria, El Mirage AZ, 85335, 623-935-2558. Apparently, they have access to the Ford manufacturing database from that era. I'm sure they charge a nice fee for the info, but just thought I'd pass that on anyway.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Marti is definitely the expert, and I believe he was the author of "Cougar By The Numbers", right?

Eventually I do want to do a "Marti Report", but there's no $$ in the budget for that right now.

Right now, I just want to know what "2A" trim was, and which rearend code "5" calls out (everything else I've decoded based on past threads here).

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Marti Report

Hey Guys,
The basic Marti Report is only $20. And money well spent.
The basic report may not be fancy but it does list all the packages ordered with the auto.:D
shane

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Marti Report

Also,
I have the book cougarby the numbers, if I have time tonight, Ill look some things up for you...
shane:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry i did put the wrong vin# on.it is 8F93S513391

THANK YOU
IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN THE WHOLE CAR I WILL TAKE 800.00 FOR IT.
ROYCE THE DECKLID IS RUSTED.

I MIGHT JUST GO AHEAD AND RUN THE WHOLE CAR ON EBAY ONCE BEFORE I START TAKING IT APART.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks everybody,i listed this car on ebay last night, with a buy it now for $850.00 and it was sold when i woke up this morning.it is going to a guy in pennsylvania.i will probably be delivering it in a week or two.

see ya and good luck with all you big bad cats

greg thomas

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Marti Report

LiLWrink said:
Hey Guys,
The basic Marti Report is only $20. And money well spent.
The basic report may not be fancy but it does list all the packages ordered with the auto.:D
shane
That's cheap. Any idea how much the "deluxe report" is?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Deluxe is $44 shipping included in US
Canada $48
Elsewhere $48 (suspect typo here)

Source: www.martiauto.com

Cheers!
Matthijs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts