Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im selling this custom dash face pad made out of aluminum, it should fit in your trim pieces but in some cases you may have to open them just bit with a screwdriver where the factory punched the aluminum trim spots. Lens bezels or trim pieces are NOT included. $150 shipped

1fg (2).jpg
1fg (3).jpg
1fg (4).jpg
1fg (5).jpg
1fg (5.5).jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't be selling this custom aluminum pad anymore however I will be selling the original pad and will be posted up soon

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice walnut dash.
I have been making one too. Had some cabinet work 1/4 inch thick filler pieces left over rom a kitchen remodel job. Oak... Well, not real solid oak.
I found that the kichen trim pieces were not solid wood. Was a thin oak vineer over some kind of pressed cardboard core.
Made crving a little easier and looks pretty good. But a little weak at the thin parts.
I was carving for an exact fit. Not planning to use the metal trim from the orginal Cougar dash pad.
But I have been keeping my eye open for some suitable trim. Nothing yet. .

I made my own from walnut.
View attachment 101701

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought some walnut for another woodworking project and had some left over.
I re-sawed a 3/4" board into 5/16" slices and used that to make the dash insert.
I used my old dash pad as a template to make a new template from 1/4" plywood so I could refine the fit.
I had to thin the 5/16" down to about 1/8" and then trim the edges so the metal trim would fit snugly.
I stripped and repainted the trim and put it all in.
It was a fun project and looks so much better than that old ragged, cracked dash pad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts