Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 Cougar with an automatic transmission and want to convert it to a manual transmission. If I purchase a donor 1968 cougar with a manual transmission, is it pretty much a straight forward matter of just removing the parts from my 1968 auto and replacing them from the donor car parts? Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Jim,

yes you could do it this way. The conversion is pretty straight forward.

In fact you dont really need a donor car for this. All parts you need can be bought and fit to your car.
I have done a 5-speed T5 conversion myself and I just bought the parts I need and it was almost plug and play!

Greetings from Bavaria!

Timon

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just noticed on ebay from Mustang Steve Performance (mustangsteve66), there is a complete pedal replacement assembly including power booster, set up with cable operator for the clutch for $740.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jim,

In fact you dont really need a donor car for this. All parts you need can be bought and fit to your car.
I have done a 5-speed T5 conversion myself and I just bought the parts I need and it was almost plug and play!

Greetings from Bavaria!

Timon
Can you identify the parts and sources where you purchased the parts? We have a 1970 XR7 with the 351 Cleveland and we want to make the same switch from auto to manual,
Alex in California

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jim,

Greetings from Bavaria!

Timon
Can you identify the parts and sources where you purchased the parts? We have a 1970 XR7 with the 351 Cleveland and we want to make the same switch from auto to manual,
Alex in California

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I've kicked around the idea of doing that but I'd rather just go with the original type of 4 speed on the floor. That way it will look period correct.

The other issue is that many of the modern cars with T5s are lighter and have a shorter wheel base. You might have to build the T5 up so it'll live longer and not just do shock replacement. That can get $$$.

All these V8 engines from the humble 289/302 and up have tons of low end torque and you can put practically any final gear ratio in the rear end that you want from 3:1 to 4.11:1. Sure a 5th gear is nice but unnecessary.

Consider that the stock C4 tranny can be locked into 2nd gear and driven that way in bad weather from 0 to about 55 mph.

That's 1 gear, not even 3 gears. I wouldn't want to try that on my Suzuki Crossover!!

My 68 cougar has a humble open 8" diff with 3:1 gears and a C4 with a slightly built up 302. It'll smoke the tires easy and they chirp when you floor it and go from first to second up to about 20mph.

Does anyone make a kit or parts list for that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts