Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1968 Cougar 351W header issues

13K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  Cain 
#1 ·
I bought some PROCOMP PC5061 stainless steel headers for my 68 with 351W (swap). The guy at PROCOMP Electronics ensured me they would fit... well no fitty. Driver side last pipe (#8) rests against the frame rail (also causing gap at exhaust head port, pipe would still like to go more into the frame rail), steering shaft coupler touches header pipe and collector nearly touches FMX pan. So my questions are:

1. Is there a header (would like SS) that fits this 351W 68 Cougar combo?
2. Is the 67-68 Cougar and Mustang engine comp the same?
I ask 2. since monday when I procomplain about header issue i know if their description is correct.

#2 · (Edited)
That web page SUX! Couldn't get anything worthwhile to come up. Guy on ebay list them as a fit but also for mid 80's cars which can't be right. What was your "swap" year? Also are you running manual or automatic? My Hookers almost rub on FMX pan when I had it....so it's tight. Those headers will not work on a car with manual due to the Z bar.... We are going to need a bit more info to help I think.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes to answer your question Mustang and Cougar are the same...The shorty JBA 1650's will fit if ground clearance is an issue, but Ford Powertrain Applications or FPA makes a header for that app. With either a stock type head or most of the raised port stuff...
Oh yeah, heard nothing but bad in regards to ProComp Electronics....all overseas junk.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Hey, Thanks for the replies and appreciate the feedback. The JBAs are beyond my budget. I did some research and it looks like hedman 88660 or Hooker 6208 would work but the way the pipe loops up and over it may cause valve cover clearance issues. So i'm going will the advice from Royce Cobra Tri Ys (I'm not running a hugh RPM breather). I will post with the results. TY Brian

#10 ·
Adam, I hear conflicting results using the 88300s. There must have been a change in header configuration to meet the general supply. The PC5061 headers I bought look exactly like the 88300s (from studying internet pictures). I appreciate your reply. I just don't want to try something that might be the same as what I got. BTW do you have a FMX behind the 351W? What motor mounts did you use? I bought the Cougar with the 351W already installed so I don't know what's there.

#12 ·
I'm running a C4, but my headers don't even come close to my transmission. I've got two to three inches between my collectors and my transmission pan. If you would like specific measurements or pictures, please let me know.

In my experience, Procomp makes very poor fitting products.

#11 ·
Pretty sure full length, regular headers will outperform Tri-Y's, but if nothing else fits what can you do? Surprised though that there would not be a header that would work given the common-ness of this drivetrain combination.

#13 ·
i am having issues with my headers too, they are hooker, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-6901HKR/
i am running a 347 with world heads and a 87 c6. the right hand hit the transpan(going to be cut and repositioned this weekend)
and the left hand hit s a boss on the lh side of the 87's bell housing(hello sawzall!) from my header experience over the years. you always have to modify somethingto make headers work period. shortys mids, longs doesnt matter . they seem to make them one size fits most.

#16 ·
I just sent an email to Hedman asking them about the difference between 88300 and 88660. Clearly the tubes are routed differently, but I specifically asked if there was a fit or performance benefit between the two sets. I also mentioned in my email that I am running a 351W with a 289 firing order in case that had anything to do with it.

#31 ·
Tell me about your application and the FPA part number please. How much were they? I have the 351 with 4 speed and all factory clutch linkage. The engine sits tall and so far only the shorty type headers work but their efficiency is garbage. The hedman especially since the ports are very oval not even close to the Ford shape and really misses the mark on my Aluminum heads.

#18 ·
Wow, fast reply from Hedman Tech Support. It only took them 30 minutes. Here's their reply:

The tube routing is slightly different on the two hedders. There would not
be any type of performance gain between the two hedders. If the 88300's fit
without any problems then there is no reason to change them.

#19 ·
We have the Hedman Shorties on our '68 351 swap. They fit great, and have been relatively trouble free. No need to drop the steering ram either.

#20 ·
I grabbed a set up the hedman shorties when I discovered the hookers I had would not clear. I needed something cheap and quick just to get the car to the body shop. When I get it back I am going with the JBA or the FPA whereas there is a huge port mis-match between the hedmans (somewhat oval port) and my aluminum heads which are very square large port.

#23 ·
Art I could not get the 6901 headers to clear under the car. I would have had to squish the exhaust to a flat oval only a few inches fromthe collector to get hooked up. It was due to where the cross member frame area is.

#25 ·
i spent an hour last night on my 6901 hookers, the rh side was my only issue . i ended up heating it up and bending it slightly out to clear the c6's pan and cooler lines.

#28 ·
I have a set of those 88650 headers on my engine. Had to clean out bolt holes so bolts would go thru them. And on drivers side, the way that one tube goes up and over created one big pain in the ass problem with header bolt and the bolt that holds down valve cover. Just waiting to see how it all goes in the car. I can't imagine installing that left side header while engine is in car. Don't want to lower ram so I went with shorties.

#29 ·
OK, here is an update on the 351W in 1968 cougar. Cobra Tri-Ys do not fit. Sorry Royce P. you are wrong (for my application). The winner is Doug's Headers D669Y. I ordered them from CJ pony's when they were having a 15% off sale for $477 free shipping. Had to wait about 3 weeks while they were being made. One note: I left the bubble wrap on the headers so to not scratch the ceramic coating. The installation wasn't too bad, I had to unbolt the steering box and move it up near the power brake booster. I started to get pissed because I thought I was going to need some clearancing, (FMX trans boss and kick down lever touching) but as the bolts were tighten everything went into place. There is a nice 1/2" between the steering box and 1" from the FMX tranny. On the passenger side, I had to remove the starter and transmission dipstick. Starter stud (electrical connection) had to be shorted and cable reroute, but removal for service good clearance. I haven't started the engine yet, but they look great. I'll post some pictures when I get the collectors welded up.

#30 ·
Did you actually try them? I've done this swap 3 times. Branda Tri - Y's fit perfectly. I always used Ford original 1967 - 68 289 / 302 motor mounts. All three cars were C4 transmission / power steering / Air Conditioning. All three are 1968's, one originally a 390 / C6 the other two originally 302 / C4.

#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.