Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Virtually identical under the hood. Biggest difference is the '68 has improved front suspension design and beefed up unit body to fix problems the 67's were having. The Cougar and Mustang are on the same chassis, with the Cougar using longer rear springs and a longer wheel base. Everything under the hood is identical though.

Oh, the '68 also has side marker lamps :bloated:

That was on a 67 stang not a 68 cougar. Are they similar?

· Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Yes. It was not my car, but I was there when the engine dropped in the hole. It fits. No big problems, follow the steps on The Curb link Bob provided.

Royce

Have you ever put a 460 in a cougar?

· Registered
5,877 Posts
You can now buy mounts and headers for the swap to make it really straightforward. As noted, Rocketman's swap is really one of the best detailed.
I would also point you to the 460 ford forums to find several threads on swaps including one done to a 68 GT500 that uses a new header design that seems to work well.
The biggest problem I've encountered doing the swap is with the engines themselves. Ford's thinwall engines like the cleveland and 429/460's are notorious for not having things in the right place and motor mount bosses on the block can vary as much as an inch from block to block.
Otherwise, it's really not a very difficult swap as long as you read up before you try it. It's more difficult than putting a 351W in where a 289/302 was, or even a 289 to 390 swap. But, it's doable and really makes for a neat conversation starter.
In fact, back in the old days (late 80's) noted Ford guy and Automotive journalist Dr. John Craft installed a 460 in his blue Boss 302 and then put Boss 302 stickers on the engine. Fooled quite a few people too. That's when I decided that Dr. Craft was one of the coolest people ever. :evil:

· Premium Member
70 Cougar 351C 4 barrel with 4 wheel disks custom interior getting new paint mild cam AOD trans
25 Posts
Virtually identical under the hood. Biggest difference is the '68 has improved front suspension design and beefed up unit body to fix problems the 67's were having. The Cougar and Mustang are on the same chassis, with the Cougar using longer rear springs and a longer wheel base. Everything under the hood is identical though.

Oh, the '68 also has side marker lamps :bloated:
You can now buy mounts and headers for the swap to make it really straightforward. As noted, Rocketman's swap is really one of the best detailed.
I would also point you to the 460 ford forums to find several threads on swaps including one done to a 68 GT500 that uses a new header design that seems to work well.
The biggest problem I've encountered doing the swap is with the engines themselves. Ford's thinwall engines like the cleveland and 429/460's are notorious for not having things in the right place and motor mount bosses on the block can vary as much as an inch from block to block.
Otherwise, it's really not a very difficult swap as long as you read up before you try it. It's more difficult than putting a 351W in where a 289/302 was, or even a 289 to 390 swap. But, it's doable and really makes for a neat conversation starter.
In fact, back in the old days (late 80's) noted Ford guy and Automotive journalist Dr. John Craft installed a 460 in his blue Boss 302 and then put Boss 302 stickers on the engine. Fooled quite a few people too. That's when I decided that Dr. Craft was one of the coolest people ever. :evil:
I will take a well built Cleveland over any thing remotely affordable

1 - 12 of 12 Posts