Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started acting up and im not sure where to start with this one. If i manually shift the gears from 1st on up it works fine but, if I put it in drive it shifts into 2nd and not first. Any ideas? I did a search and didnt really come up with anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just started acting up and im not sure where to start with this one. If i manually shift the gears from 1st on up it works fine but, if I put it in drive it shifts into 2nd and not first. Any ideas? I did a search and didnt really come up with anything.
If it's the governor , I have manual shifted into 1st at 25 mph and jarred it loose,also a 1-2 shift valve use several full closed throttle down shifts.
If it was me,I would first pull the pan and make sure there is no debris,a light trace in the screen is ok. Then I would pull the drive shaft/extension housing take the governor off
and make sure both are free and clean. I think they are 3/8" bolt heads and make sure you dont install backwards. If the primary is stuck you may be able to free
it up w/o taking snap ring off. If every thing goes smooth you will need a pan gasket
and extension housing gasket and ATF. Hope this helps.
The wife's car can be seen at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/855935
I see she left the hood up again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it's the governor , I have manual shifted into 1st at 25 mph and jarred it loose,also a 1-2 shift valve use several full closed throttle down shifts.
If it was me,I would first pull the pan and make sure there is no debris,a light trace in the screen is ok. Then I would pull the drive shaft/extension housing take the governor off
and make sure both are free and clean. I think they are 3/8" bolt heads and make sure you dont install backwards. If the primary is stuck you may be able to free
it up w/o taking snap ring off. If every thing goes smooth you will need a pan gasket
and extension housing gasket and ATF. Hope this helps
I forgot to add we have a new exhaust system,yours maybe in the
way and you will of course have to drop what ever. And the gov snap
ring is a truarc w/very little spring tension so you could use a pick
if you don't have the pliers.

I thought of some thing else, the governor primary valve has a light spring and
a small thin washer that may be dislodge,so look for that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
and extension housing gasket and ATF. Hope this helps.
The wife's car can be seen at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/855935
I see she left the hood up again.
New site http:www.supermotors.net/registry/media/856206 My new exhaust lets me drop
the transmission w/o removing pipes.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
It could also be as simple as a bad vacuum line to the transmission.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It could also be as simple as a bad vacuum line to the transmission.
No vacuum or low vacuum car will shift late
Contaminated line,like moisture or atf in line ,been awhile, atf would cause a cloud of smoke while driving.
Moisture could rust the vac mod's spring and cause front clutch chatter I think.
I really don't think a rusted out vacuum modulator spring would cause it not to downshift
plus the Intermediate servo dumps it's "on" apply pressure thru the 1-2 transition then 1-2 shift valve to exhaust
otherwise the band stays on. So gov pressure holds the 1-2 shift down and the (1-2 valve springs raise it up)
(along with mainline pressure in manual low start).

1-2 shift valve has to move up when the governor pressure cuts out,it moves up due to spring force.
So my guess is the 1-2 shift valve is stuck in board or the primary/secondary gov valve is the culprit.

Be the easier thing to check the vac line. That used to be a piece of cake,now it's been so long maybe I'm loosing it.
26 yrs a ford transmission technician,but who knows maybe my brain cells are slipping.
And I can't remember what ice would do in the line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts