Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a different firing order for my '68 302? I looked it up and it says 15246378. Before I pulled my distributor, it was running fine and it seems to be now but I don't think the plug wires locations match the info that I saw. The diagram that I saw was over on the northland falcon site. How do I know which is the no. 3 cylinder on the cap? Is it the hole closest the notch on the cap?
http://www.northland-falcons.com/article/falcon8cylinder-specs.pdf

·
Registered
130 Posts
The 152 firing order would seem correct for a 68' 302, my 69 351W is different and has a 137 firing order.

Also, some of those diagrams show the dist rotation as cw which I do not think is correct.

Not sure if this is a typo or specific to 68' 302 series, but my 69' 351W is CCW and the starting point is at the 1 o'clock position, (looking at the dizzy from the front of the car looking at engine), for my distr at tdc and pointed at the #1 cap wire.

Hope this helps- j

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
do you have a 302 cam or a 351 cam?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Andy, my '68 shop manual lists that the firing order is 15426378. If you look at the link again, the top of the distributor caps has the correct firing order that I have listed and that the firing order listed under the drivers side of the block is a typo. John

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are you sure that it doesnt have a 351 cam? When i did a tune up on my 68 i didnt know that some had installed a 351 cam. Car ran like crap until i tried the 351 firing order and it ran great again.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. I just went and checked because I was thinking that when it was rebuilt before I got it that someone had done that. The firing order the plug wires are ordered like a 302.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Good catch John. So is no. 3 at the "notch" in the cap?
Andy, is the notch you're talking about along the side around the bottom lip of the dist. cap? John

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Yes, I would imagine it is for alignment?
IMO, that sounds right. I have my dist out of my engine, so I put my dist cap (which has a "1" on the top of the cap) back on it and where the notch is on my cap, it's so the cap seals around the dist, because there is a screw in my dual diaphram. Also, where the notch is on my dist. cap, it is between where the #2 & #6 sparkplug wire connect to the dist cap. John

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The notch in the cap is there to clear one of the screws that hold the vacuum advance unit in place, also helps to locate/index the distributor cap.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The notch in the cap is there to clear one of the screws that hold the vacuum advance unit in place, also helps to locate/index the distributor cap.
Thats what i thunked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts