Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lived in Muncie, In. from 1966-1988. Sometime around 1978-1984 my father and I saw an orange Cougar that had a large Superbird style wing on the back. It was siting on Washington street in Muncie In, I wish we would have checked into it, because it disappeared. A few years latter, I saw the same type of Superbird wing on a yellow Cougar? My father is in town, now I live in Tennessee, and I was wondering what this Cougar is or was or if anyone in Indiana has ever seen these 2 Cougars? Any help as to what kind of Copugar this was would be helpfull, or if anyone else ever seen one?:uhoh: I would love to be able to tell my dad what kind of Cougar they were.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
I think you were looking at a 69 or 70 Eliminator. The picture below is a 70.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, this had a Superbird style wing, not an Eliminator wing. The orange Cougar sat for about a month or so, and I was stupid enough not to walk down from my grandmothers house and ask about it. It had a confederate flag license plate on the front also. I saw the yellow one a few years after with the same style wing. I know what the rear wing of an Eliminator looks like, it was not an eliminator wing, it looked like a Superbird or Daytona large wing on the rear of these Cougars. BY THE WAY, BEAUTIFUL CAR!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, unfortunately not now. I had my eye on several over the years, but those 2 Cougars have stumped me for over 20 years. I have searched the internet for pictures of the cars, but no avail. The Yellow Cougar was seen driving by me by a man in a suit, it was on a Sunday morning after church. I turned around as fast as possible, but I lost him. I have always been a car fan, but my tastes are a lot higher than my budget. Thought you guys might know wnat kind of Cougars these were. If they were custom, they did a great job because it looked factory.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Thought you guys might know wnat kind of Cougars these were. If they were custom, they did a great job because it looked factory.
Welcome to the forum. The Cougars you saw were most definitely custom. The only rear spoiler that ever came stock on a classic Cougar was the Eliminator style that John posted a photo of.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Like this maybe?

Don, gotta love a vendor with a sense of humor! I have always liked this item. Seriously though, how many people have tried to order it?

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I lived in Muncie, In. from 1966-1988. Sometime around 1978-1984 my father and I saw an orange Cougar that had a large Superbird style wing on the back... I saw the same type of Superbird wing on a yellow Cougar?... I was wondering what this Cougar is or was or if anyone in Indiana has ever seen these 2 Cougars?..
mailmanjohn,

Hello & welcome to the site. I remember the Orange Feline of the 2 Cats mentioned and might have some old 35mm pics of this Cougar at the Indy Car Craft Nationals. If memory serves correctly, this Cougar had a custom Candy Tangerine paint job. If I can find them in my "shoebox collection" of random car pics stuff, I'll try to post some scans. After 28 years, I have no idea who owned this Cat... but, it was an eye catcher. Does this sound like one of the two that you remember seeing?

Happy New Year !

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Don, gotta love a vendor with a sense of humor! I have always liked this item. Seriously though, how many people have tried to order it?
What do you mean tried? No wonder I haven't gotten mine yet, I thought they were backordered. :bloated:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The orange one I remember was kind of a burnt orange color and it didn't look like a show car at all, she looked a little rough in fact. I really wish I'd have tried to buy the thing then. The yellow one was for sure restored, very sharp Canary Yellow paint job. The yellow one was being driven on Tilitson right after the fire department going toward Ball State. I wish i had at least taken pictures of the Cougars, they were VERY SHARP! The spoiler reminded me of a Superbird or Daytona Charger rear spoiler, The went above the roof line by quiet a bit, and came down on the rear quarter panels allowing the trunk to be opened without moving the spoiler. It really looked factory!

·
11,000 Posts
If Joe Dirt was based on a true story, Muncie Indiana would be the place it would have happened. A more redneck place does not exist. I can just see some guy at a Muncie junkyard with a cutting torch going after the wing from a Superbird and then using sheet rock screws and drywall mud to attach the wing and mold it in to his Cougar.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Had he ONLY asked, with my wood working experience I could have shaped that wood wing for better down force, and LESS wind drag. It would have looked better being made out of some ZEBRA wood, but that would have added to the cost.

Our daughter was attending Ball-U around that time in Muncie, I never saw it, MY LOSS, for sure!

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, is what I once heard. LOL.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All I know is they were nice looking Cougars, even the orange one that needed a little work! Hard to believe that it has been around 20 years ago, time sure does fly by! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU IN THIS NEW YEAR!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
The orange one I remember was kind of a burnt orange color and it didn't look like a show car at all, she looked a little rough in fact... The yellow one was for sure restored, very sharp Canary Yellow paint job...
Since you saw the yellow one a few years after the orange one, it sounds like the same car before and after restoration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is kins of what I thought. The orange onw was parked in kind of a rough part of Muncie, In., so maybe someone grabbed if before I or my father asked about it. I was hoping they were different Cougars and that would mean they were factory cars or at least 2 existed. Those 2 Cougars and their were about still haunt me to this day, not that I could aford to buy one, but I would love to be able to show my sons at least a picture of one.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If Joe Dirt was based on a true story, Muncie Indiana would be the place it would have happened. A more redneck place does not exist. I can just see some guy at a Muncie junkyard with a cutting torch going after the wing from a Superbird and then using sheet rock screws and drywall mud to attach the wing and mold it in to his Cougar.
And I thought it was just me who had this opinion of Muncie.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I'm surprised nobody here has posted a photo shop of it, just to see what it would look like.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts