Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!! I just picked up a 68-1/2 428 CJ Cougar and when I got the Marti Sheet on the car it was listed as a Cougar '500'!

I bought the car strictly on the merits of it being an R-code car and to be quite honest had never heard of the '500' model before.

I have since looked into the Cougar '500' and found some information out there that it was a promotional model in the VA/GA region and I believe it was to promote NASCAR 500 mile races???

I was aware of a Cyclone '500' but the Cougar version was a new one on me and I have owned a whole bunch of CJ Cougars over the years.

Can any of you further enlighten me as to the origins of the Cougar '500' and what all the package included??

Thanks, 69Shelby :sun:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
COOL CAR! I don't know that a whole lot is known about these "500's". I didn't know that they were R codes, or at least yours/one is. Sounds like a rare animal!
How 'bout sharing that marti report and some pics?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. My scanner is on the fritz right now, but I'll get the Marti scanned in once I have it fixed. Car is shown as 1 of 54 Cougar 500's and my understanding was that you could get them as J-codes and R-codes. I have been told they were all Polar White with a Red Decor Interior as mine is. My car is a 428CJ with automatic and 3.50 axle. I did see pics on the net of another Polar White 500 with a Vinyl Top and it was an R-code 4-speed car!

Please keep the information coming......Thanks, 69Shelby

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Learn something new every single day.. This is pretty damn cool. It may have been a "dealer option" but the fact that it shows up on the marti and the fact that you have a 68 R code... *drool* Aside from being so frigging cool and rare as hell What a great car THAT would be to take to BJ.. damn.

Congrats on your find. Definitely keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
That's it.. I can't contain my excitement.. (I blame getting old :) ) I'm going to look into this and look at doing a tribute car. Just wow :) so cool.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Awesome car! Wow, good for you. I can relate to your excitement. I found a Drag strip time slip in the defroster of my R-code and found out later it was a track record. The feeling is like: who needs a stinking lottery! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Are the "snake" and "500/ flag" factory add ons for this package? Is the snake a regular Shelby emblem? What about the 500 flags? How hard would they be to reproduce, or source from another car line?

·
Registered
164 Posts
69Shelby,

As you can see by my signature, I just love the rare, obscure, and oddball.....You got all of that AND a 428CJ. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Fran

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Dang how did I miss this post? COOL! How complete was this thing ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the positive responses!! This car really piqued my interest just being a 68-1/2 CJ car; but the '500' promotional status rally lends to the car's mystique!

The Flags on the car are off an Early Cyclone and the 500 emblem is a Ford Custom 500 part. The snakes on the fenders are Shelby items and I believe them to be owner added. The car has the wrong engine in it, but is an intact car besides that.

Please keep the comments and the information coming.

Thanks, 69Shelby

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Please fill us in on how you found this Cougar. Did you stumble on to it , or was this a treasure hunt with detective work.
I would of given my left nut, or even my right one. Hmmmm but not both !
Super Rare Cat indeed , can't be but a hand full left on the planet. And to think someone has one of these with the 4 spd.
There were 244, 1968 Cougars built with a CJ . 37 were GTE's , then 207 CJ Cougars were ordered as a GT and not a GTE , so these 54 500's are part of the 207 ( with a couple small blocks mixed in)
It boggles the mind if your into the Cougar , and Yea let's see another Rare Cougar at BJ ! Good rare [email protected]@y is hard to find !

·
Registered
564 Posts
I passed on this car before you bought it. Had a lot of conversation with Phil Parcels regarding the 500's. Your car is not a GT but did come with disc brakes. I ordered and gave a copy of the Marti to the guy you bought it from and submitted a copy to the CCOA and have 2 more Marti reports for 500's. The flags are 64 Marauder and Cyclone and the 500's are 68 Galaxie 500. The car deserves to be saved but I just could not stomach the underside and lack of early CJ parts. They were a regional special. Only 2 DSO's were used. They also made the Torino 500 special to show off at the Charlotte 500 Nascar race. The Cougars are all White/Red.
congrats and enjoy

·
Registered
735 Posts
Very, very cool Cougar. Too bad someone jacked the engine.

I also believe the Cobra emblems to be owner added.

Here is a Marti for a Cougar 500 that is in Virginia -

Attachments

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Another question, does your 68 1/2 CJ have the re-enforced shock towers that wrap all the way, and did it get the staggered shocks ?
I had a 68 390 GT that went half the way around , more then small blocks but not all the way.
I have spoken with one guy that states a Mustang 390 GT with Factory staggered rear shocks , a Ford oddity. Just Curious .

And sportyworty how much was the asking price ? Send me by PM

·
Registered
384 Posts
The snakes on the fenders are Shelby items and I believe them to be owner added.
This is the third 68 CJ Cougar I've seen that had the snakes added. In this pic the script "CobraJet" from a hood scoop was put under the snakes. I don't think Mercury was allowed or wanted to use the snake.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts