Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished painting my 1967 Mercury Cougar and I'm finishing the installation of a new vinyl top. I'm in the process of putting it all back together but I've run across a problem. The belt trim that covers the bottom edge of the vinyl top has about 3 layers of different paints and such on it from the previous owner and I can not determine if it should be black (to match the top), red (to match the car's paint), or silver/chrome/stainless (because it is trim). Does anyone know for certain what the correct color is for this part? I want to make sure I am "authentic" with it before I put the pieces back on.

Thanks,

·
Registered
648 Posts
I don't know what is 'authentic', only what my car is...

The black vinyl top has black belt trim. It's a 68 XR7. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
White top .....white trim:D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Not sure about a 67, but my 68 std had a black roof with chrome trim, my first 69XR7 had black vinyl with chrome trim, my current 69Xr7 came with white vinyl and white trim. The white trim was white through and through - not painted white, which leads me to believe that yours should be chrome as well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Here's a pic of my 69 with original chrome trim:
:confused:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
DOH! Let's try this again....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
This really has me wondering....
I bought the car in 77 so it's possible that the original owner or dealership did it. I know that over the years I have always noticed the colored trim on other cats, but can't recall really noticing chrome trim. The colored stuff looked different to me. Now I'm not sure that my 68 had chrome. I will have to look when I get home. I have seen older Mustangs with chrome trim around the roof - it would stand to reason that Mercury would offer it for the Cougar. I had the trim on my cuurrent 69 chromed because I replaced the white vinyl with black and the white trim painted black didn't look good. Great, now I'm REALLY wondering.....

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
I've got a 67 xr-7 parts car in my garage and I just removed the BLACK vinyl top trim. It's a white cat with a black vinyl top. I think you should just match the top, which seems to be the unamious decision, and get her finished. Good luck.

Sensei:eek2:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input, I painted them satin black and it looks great. Now, back to the rebuilding...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts