Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We've just been looking at a 1967 cougar XR7 but it has some flaws. I thought you guys maybe could help us out with whats needed to be done to correct these flaws, and some round price figure.

The major errors with the car is:
The interior is bad. Both front seats are ripped and in a bad shape.
The headliner is also bad.
Radiator has a small leak (according to the owner), but no signs on the ground.
Headlight covers doesn't work, vacuum problem?
Missing the front/upper part of the center console.
No radio

Body is decent, no rust or dents. Will need a new paint eventually though.

What would you say all of this would cost? We've looked some at westcoastclassicougar , but since we don't need the complete center console we don't want to pay 700 bucks for it :p

Like i said, we've just looked at the car and wanted to do some research before opening up the wallet.
Oh, and the owner said it's a 351C in the car but that did not exist before 1969. Is there any way you with a picture could see whether its a 289 or 351? :)

Thank you very much!
// Pierre & Johanna

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Can tell by pic of where the intake meets the block if it is 351w or 289/302. Clevelands have found their way into earlier cars. Easy way for telling if it is a cleveland, look at fuel pump. Two bolts side on either side hold it on, windsor, two bolts one high one lower, cleveland.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Doesn't sound like anything you wouldn't expect from a 40+ year old car to me. Cost is relative to what you do and how much soembody else does.....and to what level you want it done.

Compare it to what you see selling on ebay (or sold) and you can get a feel of it's value there....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't sound like anything you wouldn't expect from a 40+ year old car to me. Cost is relative to what you do and how much soembody else does.....and to what level you want it done.

Compare it to what you see selling on ebay (or sold) and you can get a feel of it's value there....
No, thats true. Old cars are not new ... The cars/people on ebay seem to set the pricing higher than the '67 we found.
I think the reason for us debating this is that we would like a 69 XR7 and would consider it a very long term project. We just had a 69 XR7 but shipped it overseas back home, and kinda fell in love with the car. Thats why we are looking for a new one,to replace the one we recently shipped away. Personally im all new to cougars, but my girlfriend is grown up with them.

Like i said, its going to be a long term project, and i think finding a clean body is the priority for a long term project.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Absolutely - always get the best car your wallet will allow. Your time has value too - and buying a rust bucket never pays off when you factor that in. In the end it's cheaper to get a solid car and you won't get so dissappointed when the end is so far off - even with a long time horizon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can tell by pic of where the intake meets the block if it is 351w or 289/302. Clevelands have found their way into earlier cars. Easy way for telling if it is a cleveland, look at fuel pump. Two bolts side on either side hold it on, windsor, two bolts one high one lower, cleveland.
Okey, so you can determine whether its a 351 or 289/302? This might be a long shot, but here's the only picture of the engine that I've got. Could the numbers still match even if its a 351?
IMG00010-20111117-1202.jpg

Would you guys say a '67 is more rare than a '69? Was looking in the "parts for sale" department and there's plenty of parts for both cars.
The guy told us he has to get rid of the car, and the ad has been up for over a month so i guess its costing him money just sitting there. Maybe we could get it for a bargain, with christmas and everything coming up...

The part I'm most worried about is the headlight covers being expensive and hard to fix.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
With those valve covers, it looks like a 302 to me...More pictures will get you better informed opinions..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately thats the only picture I've got. It was starting to get dark when we looked at it, so i forgot to take some pictures of my own.
Will have to sleep on it, but maybe we're going to go have another closer look at it in proper daylight this weekend and then ill make sure to take some more pictures of it.
Thanks a bunch guys!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How come? :)
Its a california car, and their asking 4000 dollars for it. He lowered the price a couple of days ago from 4500. He called us yesterday asking if we were still interested saying that he had to get rid of the car soon.
In general the car is in quite good shape, minor rust spots at the rear window like always, seats need to be replaced and dashboard misses some things. Its got "racing stripes" that are peeling off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The owner finally got me the casting number of the motor:
29-e7te-ca-8
According to him its a 1987's 302 truck motor. Ive tried to find out about it, but without any luck.
Any of you guys know anything? Could this be a nice motor? We're looking for a matching numbers car, but maybe those are simply out of our budget.
Any input is appriciated! Thanks :)

Oh, and the engine is fitted with a Holley carb, Mallory distributor and Edelbrock intake

Edit: Done some research on it and it appears to be a 87 truck engine indexed (E7TE). The other parts i can't figure out.
What do you guys say? Might this be a no-good buy due to the non-stock engine?
Im new to old american muscle cars, bear with me please. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts