Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Don, I have one, but when my contact tried to fix it, the spring sprung. Do you need it working, or do you have the know-how to fix it? He was able to find me a '68 that was worked when electricity was applied (clunk, clunk, clunk sound, I believe). I'd trade you for a repro 67 standard dash emblem. I'll post a pic or two later. Lemme know. Eric.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don, I have one, but when my contact tried to fix it, the spring sprung. Do you need it working, or do you have the know-how to fix it? He was able to find me a '68 that was worked when electricity was applied (clunk, clunk, clunk sound, I believe). I'd trade you for a repro 67 standard dash emblem. I'll post a pic or two later. Lemme know. Eric.
Thank you! But it needs to work...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If I can get it working, what's it worth? Here are a few pics. Any recommendations on ways to fix it? Is there a specific gauge wire I need to use to test it? I think I put the bracket on the ground post of the car battery (off the car), and a wire from the vacuum release valve to the positive post.

I need that dash emblem, rechromed cones for the instrument dials, and long knobs/controls for my dash am/fm radio. The ones in the pic are beautiful/metal, not plastic - what are those worth? Anyone interested? Don't need the opera light covers, and are very good overall, with exception of one crack. $10 and they're yours. Anyone figured out how to apply that silver/chrome to the raised plastic?

I've stated it before, but for the vacuum motor and anything else that has diaphragms (a/c control unit), use that plumber's grease. I left full vacuum on my vacuum motor for five minutes, and didn't budge. Eric.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Don, I noticed the metal strip from the bottom center to the side needed, so I sanded the outside with 600 grit paper. Also, put a female connector on the wire, mated it to the male on the vrv, and wouldn't you know it, when I tapped the other end of the wire to the + battery node, clunk, clunk, clunk. Am I properly testing it? What should be happening with the vrv? How much vacuum should I be recording, and to which light plastic nipple should I connect my vacuum tester. Should the vrv be rapidly clunking to generate enough pull/vacuum on that vacuum motor? I'll check the forum for analytics/diagnostics...

... after posting, found one of my posts from two years ago. http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?40819-67-vs.-68-tilt-vacuum-release-valve-testing Still, not fully following how to test. The steering column is all together, and can set up the connection from the vacuum motor to the vrv. Need to find out if hose should go to the nipple that comes out at a right angle, or to the one that comes straight up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts