Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
It was listed on ebay last week. No picture of the Marti report. I would like to have seen how the introductory show unit was listed or if its listed as such.
Steven

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Kind of a high serial number to be a factory show car isn't it? The car is worth no more than any other 67 S code in that condition, unless there is a paper trail to prove the claims.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I expect Jim Pinkerton would be the one to have any information on such vehicles. I agree on the serial number being rather high for one used to garner interest for sales early on.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I emailed him- let's see...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bid up to 1025.00 and then relisted, Most likely worth more in his mind then actual.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Problems I have with the factory show car statement...

1 seem to remember hearing all looked like cougar 1 red on red with white vinyl top.
2 GT was a midyear intro and would not have even been conceived when they were doing the show circuit.
3 lets see the marti report

Discalimer...this info is worth exactly what you paid for it LOL. Just does not fit with my understanding.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
From a recent posting, the first 'GT' Cougar has a VIN number of 7F91S500041.

The VIN number for the Cougar from this post is 29J or Sept 29, 1967.
Maybe it was an addition or a replacement for the 'Show Circuit'? A lack of the rumored Marti Report leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Don't you love it, RUST FREE, then he tells of rust through that he calls PIN HOLES, well pick around them PIN HOLES and find it has SPREAD. Look at the bondo, what's that hiding.

It ain't a rust free car, IMO. Sure,probably not that difficult to repair, but it needs some panels. You can't just take roofing tar and fill the floor holes, and you can't weld them shut. Got cut out and weld in a new panel my friends.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Not the same car. 69shelby lives here in Atlanta somewhere, with a huge collection of cars. I guess he could have sold it to someone and it made its way back to Cali though.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have seen the marti report. It is an INTRODUCTORY SHOW UNIT, with a DSO of 84, sched. for build 9/29/66. Tilt away, but no a/c or power brakes. He says he has had enough dreamers and asked if I was serious. The car is interesting, but INMHO not significant enough to restore given how much work it needs.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have seen the marti report. It is an INTRODUCTORY SHOW UNIT, with a DSO of 84, sched. for build 9/29/66. Tilt away, but no a/c or power brakes. He says he has had enough dreamers and asked if I was serious. The car is interesting, but INMHO not significant enough to restore given how much work it needs.
Ok... so what exactly does "Introductory Show Unit" mean? Was it just a dealer special order for thier show room, or did it have a first / early production option of some sort that wasn't previously available?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ok... so what exactly does "Introductory Show Unit" mean? Was it just a dealer special order for thier show room, or did it have a first / early production option of some sort that wasn't previously available?
Mike,

From Marti Auto Works FAQ's;

Order Type Ford Motor Company builds vehicles for different purposes and different customers. In fact, there are over twenty different classifications of order types. Some of the more common are:

Retail – an individual comes to a dealership and orders an as yet unbuilt vehicle
Stock – a dealer orders a vehicle to have available for display at his/her location
Basic – Ford has excess capacity on an assembly line and produces vehicles to keep the plant busy
Fleet – a company that orders five or more vehicles yearly qualifies for price breaks on these vehicles
Special Purpose Vehicle – a vehicle built by Ford for what the name implies
Introductory Show Unit – a vehicle built to demonstrate a new model. Generally this vehicle is shipped to be on display at some large public gathering
A-Plan – vehicles built for current Ford employees and sold at a discounted price
Z-Plan – vehicles built for retired Ford employees and sold at a discounted price
Lease – vehicles leased by Ford to an individual or a company

The FAQ's can be found on the web site;

http://www.martiauto.com/faqsearch.cfm

·
Registered
199 Posts
there usually ran through paint twice so its perfict, then each dept the superviser or forman followed it through their area so that everything is perfict. normally their used as a dealer showroom model. as they come down the line someone hangs a grinding disc inside to let everybody that its a show unit. at least thats what they did in the seventys.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
A thought just occured to me.

This Cougar came with smog control, it could have been built specifically for the auto show circuit in California.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm going to guess that this car was one of the 100+ cars that the factory gathered together for the late Introduction of the Car event held for newsmen in Monterey, CA. Oct. 31 - Nov. 2nd, 1966.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Here's the Marti if anyone interested. The owner sent it to me yesterday and I just found time to post it.

Thanks for editing Scott. It's embarrassing when I have to get one of my kids to read things for me.

Based on the amount of work this car requires and the fact that most everything on the options list appears to be missing, is there anyone who would take on this project?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts