Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little cut and paste, please excuse that. But I wanted to post my dad's car here before it goes to craigslist. My dad, Don Berger, restored this car 27 years ago and it has been our family's garage queen even since. All growing up he showed the car and it won many trophies. But now that I have gotten into the classic BMW scene, he wants in and has to sell this car to make room. There are tons of parts stashed in the garage that will go with this car.

1967 Mercury Cougar XR7 - Dan Gurney Special $16,000
Only 178K original miles. This car features the correct, strong running 289 HP motor, 4 barrel carburetor, automatic transmission C-4 and power brakes. Interior is in EXCELLENT condition top to bottom. This car is very stock & original and gets lots of attention going down the road. I have been the owner for the last 34 years. I have restored the car to its present condition. The car was repainted to the original code specs. “Ford Cinnamon Frost” and still looks great.
This car is fully equipped with:
Power steering.
Tilt-away steering wheel.
Factory cruise control.
Air conditioning (blows cold).
Rare AM/FM radio.
Factory cable trunk release.
Cougar floor mats.
Rare center console with clock.
Other rare extras:
Factory rear-defrost (not installed).
Quarter glass has original “1967 Car of the Year” decal.
Original Owner’s Manual.
The car is very solid, everything works, floors are solid and the trunk is clean. Restored and garaged for 25+ years. The headliner is not perfect and new tires are recommended.

feel free to email me (Eric) at vwcabriolet @ gmail.com or call me at (four08) 221-five711. or you can email my dad, at donaldhberger @ yahoo.com

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
What a fine looking Cougar even has the smog stuff. Is that speed control functional?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Very Nice Cat ! Hope it goes to a good home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill take pics in the morning for you.

ya the cruise control work, kinda odd from new cars but it holds on flat ground.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Apparently the door data plate does not belong to the Cinnamon Frost car. Perhaps the door was replaced at some point?
pics of vin and door info.

sorry that the pics are kinda weird. comp is acting up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently the door data plate does not belong to the Cinnamon Frost car. Perhaps the door was replaced at some point?
let me ask him. it was finished being restored just before I was born, so i don't have first hand experience of they car before it was our garage queen.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Awesome car!!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
It is a nice car. I'm surprised to see this. The last time I saw Don was when I bought his 1967 Park Lane from him. I remember him saying that if I didn't want the Park Lane any longer to give him a call first. Somehow I don't think he'd be interested now...:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
wow small world. I think both of us would rather have the Park Lane. There hasn't been a single week that has gone by where we don't miss that car. did you ever restore her and is the cloth interior still mint?

and found out a bit more about the mismatching door. he didn't know that the door had been changed out (never noticed). he must have bought the car with the mismatching door.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The car is not too different from when you guys had it. It has a new dual exhaust now. The engine has gotten a new timing chain, oil pump, fuel pump and oil pan. Carb rebuilt by Pony Carbs and the engine cleaned and painted. Correct wires all around. Carpet pulled to see clean floor pans which were painted and got new carpet. Replaced the drivers power window motor. Replaced the dash with a very nice NOS dash. Have acquired NOS side trim, NOS chrome tail light housings and a complete NOS front grille for a ridiculously low price. Body work and paint will probably happen next summer as I finish up on my F100 which needed less body work and so was my practice horse. Have those quarters to level out and the lower passenger rocker panel to weld studs and pull out. The door, I assumed, was replaced due to damage that happened on that side. It will be a bit trickier to massage. Yes, the seats are still mint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, it's been a very long time.
But, as of today my dad(Don Berger) has sold his cougar. This is a sad day for both of us. She is the reason I have a passion for classics and working on my own car. The year I was born, 1984, my dad finished its 4 year restoration. Then it went to shows won many 1st and a few others, but since about 1994 the car has just sat in the garage.
The car sold to a guy in Oregon and they are driving and tons and tons of parts (extras knobs, panels, carb, etc.)
He did order a new door tag and got that fixed and did a water pump and timing chain. Thx c7xr7, for point that out so it could get fixed.
Final sell price was 12.5k
Had a great 35 years with her and I hope the next owner is brought the same passion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, it's been a very long time.
But, as of today my dad(Don Berger) has sold his cougar. This is a sad day for both of us. She is the reason I have a passion for classics and working on my own car. The year I was born, 1984, my dad finished its 4 year restoration. Then it went to shows won many 1st and a few others, but since about 1994 the car has just sat in the garage.
The car sold to a guy in Oregon and they are driving and tons and tons of parts (extras knobs, panels, carb, etc.)
He did order a new door tag and got that fixed and did a water pump and timing chain. Thx c7xr7, for point that out so it could get fixed.
Final sell price was 12.5k
Had a great 35 years with her and I hope the next owner is brought the same passion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to say that Don did a great job of preserving and restoring this car to its present condition. I should know because it now sleeps in my garage and comes out for the few sunny days we have.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congratulations! The car looks to be in amazing condition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts