Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not know such a car even existed. I've chopped up a few 4 doors over the years, and when I saw this, I froze in my tracks! What a clean, cool looking car!

Now the question is begged........is there a 427 dual quad, 4 speed version out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Cool car! My Dad had a 62, I am sure it was a Monterey but a four door hardtop. Black with long red tail cones on it. I was born in the back seat!! I looked for one for a while but have never seen one.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Now the question is begged........is there a 427 dual quad, 4 speed version out there?
If it exists it is likely in the S-55. For sure 428 cars exist. Mercury made full size convs through the 1970 model year.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
The top engine available for the 67 Mercury Monterey was the 428 Super Marauder and it was the standard engine in the S-55.

I bought this S-55 convertible as a rusty wreck for $330 on ebay some years ago and it took 2 parts cars to restore it. These cars are extremely rare with only 145 produced and I doubt there are more than 10 left (if that many). My S-55 has now been sitting for a couple of years waiting for me to find the last NOS parts I need to finish the restoration. (I am still looking for a NOS LH rear wheel opening molding)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a 68 4 door with a 390. The gen 4 Monterey's were some of the best looking full sized cars ever made IMO. The 68's had the best looking grill by far. One thing to watch out for on gen 4 cars is the frames were lightened up and there are few if any drain holes in the frame rails between the torque boxes. Many of these cars were junked because of frames were rusted out. I got my 68 for free after I inspected if for possible purchase. I had the frame rails replaced including the torque boxes by a local shop that built race car chassis. The guy built a jig to keep the frame straight while doing the work all for $750. This was back in the late 70's when labor was cheap. Today it would be expensive unless you could do it yourself. I'd love to have my 68 back or another example as it was so pleasing to look at and drew a crowd everywhere I went.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Wow What a cool S55 Vert. Love it ! I had a freind with a 1962 S55 406 Tri power 4 speed with 4.11s Neat car it was.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
There is a 68 HT for sale at the local U-pull it for 1200.00 FYI...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts