Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 standard and I considered adding speakers in the front kickpanels but the metal panels underneath the kickpanels are solid. Are the metal panels supposed to be solid or open I can see what appears to be a template pattern in the steel for a cutout?

The kickpanels that came with my car are vented but unless I find a speaker that is 1/4 inch thick :confused: its not going under the kickpanel.

Anybody else have this issue? Is the frame underneath the kickpanels supposed to be open?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I had the same question but kept forgetting to ask it here! :lol:
I'm curious as well...
Scott

·
11,000 Posts
There is a stamped area for the speaker, you just have to cut it out using a 5" speaker as a template. Just leave enough material to bolt the speaker to.

The factory installation had molded plastic cups that bolted in to protect the speaker from water entering the fender area. Most of the Cougar vendors have these cups in stock (used).

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I did it to my old 67 stang. I could barely hear them over the rear jensens. more trouble that it was worth. I will put only the two rears in my 70xr7. my 2¢

·
Registered
240 Posts
yea my friends' stang had the kick panel speakers and you could barely hear them. but i'm having made a customized box to place where the center console use to be :) one where the speakers would be facing sorta up and towards the driver and pasenger, i'm even having the guy add cup holders :) so i'll find out when he's done if it works. then i'll send you pics and specs. but it will go just in front of the shifter and under neath where the stereo is (look at my pics in gallery to see where ) i think that would be a better idea than in kick panels but thats just me :)

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I just did it

I have a 67 and bought the factory speaker buckets.
I just installed them last week. My installation may not be typical because I took the fenders off to do the other projects see my gallery.
The buckets I bought still had the speakers, insulation and gaskets which I used as a template for the jigsaw.
Anyway I have a before and after pic here
The speaker bucket is 5¼" so there are a lot of speakers available. I bought a set of Infinity Kappa's from Ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts