Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While Brian Aust was away on a business trip, we snuck over to his garage to mess with his new 67 GT and make a video. Sorry for drinking all your beer, Bri :evil:

As many of you are probably aware, the 1967 headlight system is different from 68. It uses a solenoid to control the opening and closing of the headlight doors, rather than the simpler headlight switch in 68. They can be problematic if you don't treat them right, and can easily be rendered useless. Many of you also probably know that we have high quality remanufactured solenoids from Mr. Vacuum Man to replace busted original units. We will also pay 25 bucks for every used core you send in, as mentioned in the video.
This video is not meant to be a sales pitch, however, it's more of an informational piece for you '67 Cougar owners, so that you'll have a better idea of how this solenoid works, where all the hoses and wires go and what they're for, and how to ensure long life and proper operation of your solenoid. (Also, how not to destroy your expensive new one)

And just to hold your attention, there is an explosion about halfway through, and some bloopers at the end. :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Outstanding !!! I really enjoyed watching that vidieo. Thanks guys it was fun and interesting and I actually learned something. Now when are you going to make the tanks with the double ports? My system works fine as long as its runing, just no storage! Oh well can't have everything!

·
Registered
200 Posts
good vid...even tho i own a 70 it was still great to watch...learn something all the time on this website

·
Registered
205 Posts
cool video, i bought the replacement solenoid for the cat and it works perfectly. i did think about all the other solutions the mazda motors changing to a 68 switch but why not keep it original? KISS

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad it's helpful! I learn a lot doing these too. Before we did this video, I didn't even know that 67 had such a different system. (Not that I fully understand my 68 system either, but I'm sure we'll be covering that too!)

P.S. If anyone has a good suggestion for a how-to video that you think needs to be done for the good of all Cougardom, feel free to post it or send me a PM. There is no shortage of things we want to do, but it never hurts to get more ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts