Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I did five different searches, and either didn't find or didn't understand the reply.
I have the top, left and right stainless off the parts car. (They are really nice!)
In order to remove the piece that is at the bottom of the glass, what do you need to do? Hit it with a block of wood, and try and drive it over the top of the vent?Are there a couple of screws hidden some where? The rear trim came out great also, the only remaining piece I haven't pulled off, is the front window, and the two rear quarter window lower trim pieces....

·
Registered
669 Posts
It comes out forwards over the cowl but you have to pop it from the clips just like you did the sides and top.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I tried to lift along the windshield side, it did not feel like it wanted to come off at all. I mean at all.Do you pry from the glass side away?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll report back after I've totally ruined it...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Woodsnake I did it! You can too. I bought a little tool for removing the trim. Slid it in from the glass side. Once it was in felt around till I found the clip and then kinda rotated the tool to try and hook or push on the clip. All the while I was lightly lifting on the trim. Not sure if what I did was right but it came off without bending anything. The quarter trim pieces Not sure but I think they were kinda glued down? Wasn't any screws. Now mine is a 68 but I would think they are the same.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The quarter window chrome trim is a riveted to a stainless steel mounting bracket which is held to the body by three screws. These screws are accessible once the interior quarter trim panel has been removed.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, body panels off, then three screws, then the trim comes off as an assembly? Perfect!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The top of the quarter trim is also held on by the drip rail trim so you'll have to either slide it down out of the drip rail trim or loosen the lower portion.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got the front trim, off, and it seems to be in pretty good shape. It didn't get all bent out of shape during the removal process..I was also able to get the lower trim pieces as well. I almost had the windshield out, but I over stressed it just enough to crack it...That is 3 successful back lite removals, and zero front glass removals. The car has a super solid roof too, I hate to throw it out, but it just isn't a commodity here like it would be further east...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts