Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this on ebay. Do you think it was worth the money?
I'm seeing an air conditioner compressor and brackets that are missing on mine. A usable intake manifold with possibly the correct piping, to replace the aluminum one on mine that someone wrecked. Exhaust manifolds to replace my headers that are in poor condition (assuming they are there). Dip stick and tube to replace my missing one (not chrome though). Correct coil bracket?

Any parts on that bird that I should be looking at?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370546303260?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Well, the exhaust manifolds will not work on a Cougar.

The PCV transfer tube is will be correct, as will most or all of those vacuum fittings. It has the low mount alternater for use with thermactor smog which is correct if you have a 1967 with emissions. Intake manifold will work, but I don't believe that it is the S-code variety.

Probably worth well over $200 if it has rebuildable components. Did you get the air cleaner, are you getting the lateral bracket, and all of the A/C pulleys?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I know about it is what can be seen in the picture. I'll pick it up this Saturday.
I doubt if the air cleaner is there.
Probably no lateral bracket if it's not in the picture.
What about the fan blade or shroud that would have been on there. Would that have been correct for a cougar? If so, I'll ask about it.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Shroud, no. Not sure what the fan blade numbers are on T-Birds.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got this engine home. The guy I got it from said it came from a barn find. Doesn't know if it the car was parked because the engine froze up, or if that happened from sitting for years. I don't have time to fiddle with it right now, or I'd see if it will free up.
I was wondering if this is the same block that would be used for a 390 GT S code, and what internally would be different?
The block casting number is C6ME-A. I guess I'll need to check the date code again. It looked like 7O17, but that's not possible is it?
The intake casting number is C7AE 9425-E. I see one listed on the WCCC online catalog as being correct for an S code.
Heads are C7AE-A, 8 bolt manifolds.
What about the transmission? Would that be the same as used in a GT? No reason to keep it if not.
There is one interesting contraption attached to the power steering cooler. He said the T-bird had hydraulic wipers that were driven by the power steering pump. The hoses are still on there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Where abouts in North Central IL? I am west of Peoria.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
G Dub, on the date code 7O17, see if the letter O is a D. Only A-M was used(the letter "I" wasn't used). If it is a D, then the date code is 7-1967, D-Month of April & 17-17th day. John

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Smog alternator bracket (1967), but I don't see the thermactor holes in the cylinder heads.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supposed to have been an Illinois car originally from the Mattoon area. Not sure why it would have a smog alternator bracket.

letsroll, I am in Ottawa. I'll change that in the location someday.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Mattoon? the company I used to work for had a factory there.

Think I read somewhere that the Chicago market might have had emission controlled vehicles in 1967.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G Dub, on the date code 7O17, see if the letter O is a D. Only A-M was used(the letter "I" wasn't used). If it is a D, then the date code is 7-1967, D-Month of April & 17-17th day. John
Checked it tonight. It is a D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts