Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a dude just called me up today asking if I wanted to buy a 1967 Ford LTD from him, from what I remember, I think they have the vaunted 390 from the presmog days, is there any chance they put another engine in the LTD or is it the 390 or 427? I mean 300 HP from the factory sounds good to me.

the car is in Fresno which is 4 hours from here so I have to be sure before I make the trip. I'm putting it in my 67 Cougar, It's not an "S" code but I think I can make a GT-E clone since they're from the same year

also what transmission do they have? C4?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
oh i see, so the first thing would be to find out what it was? I'm hoping its a Galaxie...I'll call him tomorrow for details. According to wikipedia, it was introduced in 1965 as an upgrade to the Galaxie and then 1967 was the year LTD split off into its own model from the Galaxie.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
'67 FE-engine car will have C-6 trans.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
So, no manual transmission options for a 67 LTD big block? Me doesn't stink so.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awe crumbs, I wonder what the bolt pattern is for the 390, and if any transmission were ever built with overdrive to fit the engine. I guess I would have to stick with the C6 after all...I wish I could go upthere just to try and match things up...sounds like a certain headache.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Full size 67 Fords could get a 3 or 4 speed manual. But most get automatics. The LTD was a luxury model and most get autos. This could be a sweet ride. It could have a 352, 390 2V or 4V or a 428. Look at the VIN. It is like a cougar VIN, the 5th character is the engine code. 390 4V I think is a Z. 428 4V is Q I forgot the 352 code.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from the looks of it, It's a 390 2V...but who keeps the stock intake anyways? I'll just paint it blue to keep the original look. How hard are good heads to come by on 390 is the question? I found one guy online with heads but he wants entirely too much for them. Maybe if I wait it out I can get a deal (ebay)

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Are you contemplating putting a passenger car 390 engine into a Cougar?

Cast iron exhaust manifolds or headers? it makes a difference when you go shopping for cylinder heads. Stock exhaust manifolds will not bolt up to the 8 bolt passenger car or truck cylinder heads. If using 390GT or 428CJ manifolds holes need to be drilled accordingly.

Engine mount block plates will need to be used, as well as the proper engine stands (which you probably have in your 1967 Coguar).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cast iron exhaust manifolds or headers? it makes a difference when you go shopping for cylinder heads. Stock exhaust manifolds will not bolt up to the 8 bolt passenger car or truck cylinder heads. If using 390GT or 428CJ manifolds holes need to be drilled accordingly.

How hard is to drill the extra holes. can this be done with the head still on the engine with the engine out of the car. what is the process.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts

How hard is to drill the extra holes. can this be done with the head still on the engine with the engine out of the car. what is the process.
I would not try to use a hand drill.

Drill press at the least, a competent machine shop would be the way to go. Holes need to be drilled to a specific depth, and you would need a bottom tap for tapping holes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts