Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long (cool) story about the car itself, but I have the emergency brake handle/rod/pulley assembly out of my 67 on the bench. It had pretty bad rust on the main rod that you pull, was frozen in place. I sort of soaked it in evaporust and actually got it moving and working. But to clean it up properly and paint the sleeve part of it I'd like to pull the rod out of it's sleeve of sorts. However, the rod is retained by a steel pin near the back end that guides and turns the rod as you pull it back. Probably no one has ever done this, but how is that pin held in? It may go all the way through the rod and is swaged on the back side, because it does not pull out or twist out with reasonable force. I can grind it off and just drill and tap or press in a new pin, but I was curious if anyone else has ever tried it. I'd rather not get an $80 imported repro assembly for several reasons. It's more a labor of love than for profit in my case. Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
It's just a roll pin- if you can find a small enough punch, you should be able to just drive it through, until you can grab the pin with a pair of pliers or vice grip-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woodsnake,
I think that you are talking about the handle, which does look like a roll pin retains it. This is at the rear of the assembly, a solid pin, even looks tapered, but that could be from the pressing operation when it was installed. I think that I will just cut it off and put in a 1/4" dowel pin or threaded stud of sorts. Thanks though.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For those rare souls that may be interested, I cut off the protruding pin with a dremel cutoff wheel in about a minute, and pulled the assembly apart. The pin was solid steel pressed into a straight through hole in the rod, flush with the bottom. It took some pretty solid hits with a punch to get it out. I'll clean it up and put in a pin of some sort and send pictures if it comes out well.
When I get to heaven I am going to hug the guys that invented the dremel tool and the weed eater.

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
I was thinking about the handle. This is a task that I will have to do as well, since I am converting from an automatic, to a manual trans I want the park brake to work! So, are you saying that even with the handle off, the serrated rod would not come apart from the other end? I don't have mine apart yet for an easy visual-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never took off the handle; that would not help in disassembly anyway. The tube has the back end closed off with a flap of steel that maybe could be bent out of the way if you had to. On mine the cable was damaged and the rod was rusted in place solidly, so I had to cut the cable to remove the assembly (I bought a new cable assy). Now that I have had it out, I learned several things. That pin that I cut off flush with the rod can be pushed out without cutting it off. If the rod is all the way back, there is an access hole on the bottom of the tube where you could theoretically use a punch to press out the pin from the bottom side without cutting it off. It would need some very solid hits, though.
The hole in the rod is about the correct size for a 10-32 screw, so I tried to tap the threads in it. It is either case hardened or some kind of stinking hard steel, the tap would not start cutting. I drilled it out a little larger with some difficulty, and got it tapped most of the way with difficulty and without breaking off the tap. That worked, but I don't recommend it. If you can push out the pin from the bottom/backside you could re-use it. Don't lose the spring and pawl, it can fall out when the rod is out. It took me a while to figure out how to put it back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts