Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a 1967 Cougar from my neighbor. It is red, however found out it was a original Sheffield Silver car. Seems to be pretty rare, because have not been able to locate photos of one, to see what that color looks like on it. I do have a original Silver Frost 1966 GT Mustang. Is this the same color? The cougar has mint black interior. The Sheffield Silver with the black interior and a black vinyl top seems like it would be a nice color combination, especially with a set of Magnums 500s. Would be nice if someone would be kind enough to show me a picture of one in Sheffield Silver. Also, it has a white vinyl top on it at this time. How do I tell if it had a vinyl top from the factory? The trim around the vinyl top at the rear is not original. Made me wonder if it had a vinyl top from the factory. Thank you.
Also, it has a 289 in it with power steering. Installed a new water pump on it (the original water pump was missing when I got the car). The single groove water pump pulley is not lining up correctly with the bottom dual groove pulley. The water pump pulley sticks out to far by aprox .300 Thousands. Is the water pump incorrect? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Welcome Jeff.
For some reason that color is specific to 1967 Standard Hardtops. Meaning there weren't any XR7's built in that color.

·
11,000 Posts
Sheffield Silver is the lower body color for the 1968 GT-E's. It is a sort of dull silver color. Originally a Thunderbird color.

Recently acquired a 1967 Cougar from my neighbor. It is red, however found out it was a original Sheffield Silver car. Seems to be pretty rare, because have not been able to locate photos of one, to see what that color looks like on it. I do have a original Silver Frost 1966 GT Mustang. Is this the same color? The cougar has mint black interior. The Sheffield Silver with the black interior and a black vinyl top seems like it would be a nice color combination, especially with a set of Magnums 500s. Would be nice if someone would be kind enough to show me a picture of one in Sheffield Silver. Also, it has a white vinyl top on it at this time. How do I tell if it had a vinyl top from the factory? The trim around the vinyl top at the rear is not original. Made me wonder if it had a vinyl top from the factory. Thank you.
Also, it has a 289 in it with power steering. Installed a new water pump on it (the original water pump was missing when I got the car). The single groove water pump pulley is not lining up correctly with the bottom dual groove pulley. The water pump pulley sticks out to far by aprox .300 Thousands. Is the water pump incorrect? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
If I remember correctly, there were only about 225 cougars built in 67 in Silver. I picked one up myself last year with the original Silver paint and Red standard interior, then looked it up in CBTN.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That gold 68 is S H A R P!
and how accurate is that color? mine was originally Grecian Gold and after seeing that pic, i might just go back gold on it....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Im not sure who owns the cars, I just had it in my files because I liked it. It also showed me what the difference in looks from vinyl top and no vinyl top. I hope it was ok to post someone else's picture.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
And in that shot, I prefer the classic 14's with white letter tires.MMMMMmmmmm S E X Y! Not that my opinion matters here, I'm just drooling out loud.

·
Registered
389 Posts
wood, me too.

and I just showed that to my wife and i think we both wanna go gold on our 68 with the "correct" style rims to...

just wish i knew how that gold one would look with that vinyl top..thinking it would look good...mine doesnt have one now but i really want to put the vinyl on it....

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Drivers side.jpg Heres one in silver

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Checked the book again , 1359 total cars for 67 in Sheffield Silver. Black standard Int. - 797 built , that's out of 150k cougars in 67, third rarest paint color behind Diamond Blue (650) and Cumberland Beige (844), excluding special painted cars ( 199 )

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Actually cougar did have a half vinyl roof, the front part in 71 to 73.
The full vinyl was also an option for 71-73s, but the half-vinyl was pretty common for 71-73 XR-7s... All three of my 73 XR-7s have it. My only 73 Standard has the fill vinyl option...

·
Registered
389 Posts
my bad...i meant a 67-70 couldnt pull it off. a bloated coug could :) especially the later cougs that became thunder cougars...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Wanna run my 'bloated coug' for pinks? ;)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I loved my 71 'bloated coug and it had a full vinyl top as well. It would be nice to have another one. Once you have had one of these so called bloated cats, you would change your thinking:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts