Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad has been in love with early Cougars since his uncle had a new XR7 in 67. He finally pulled the trigger and bought a standard 67, to make into the car he has always wanted.

We have been doing quite a bit of research as to the different routes which we could go. Originality is not a huge factor, as there was nothing special (other than being a cougar!) about the car to begin with.

Right now we are leaning toward a Ford Racing crate 392, the 475 hp model, for the engine. The stock engine in it is a 289, and while there is nothing wrong with it, we want more power. For the past 15 years of so we have been tinkering with Datsun/Nissan Z cars, so we are used to cars that handle like a go-kart, but aren't exactly tire fryers. Now that we have moved onto a muscle car, we want between 400 and 500 hp. I realize that we could build a motor to reach these goals, but the appeal of a professionally built, warranted, brand new motor is hard to overlook.

In my research I have found that the Z heads used on the 392 can cause fitment issues with header placement. To solve this right now we are thinking that the TCI suspension kit Stacey David installed in his V8 Interceptor would solve any shock tower clearance issues, as well as thoroughly update the brakes and suspension. Welding is not an issue, I have a good amount of experience between prior restorations and my school's ASCE Steel Bridge Team.

Transmission and Differential are still very much up in the air. Once we make a decision on an engine we will look further into the different possibilities.

Interior wise was are planing on adding custom touches to the stock interior. Currently it has a tan interior, and we plan on making it a black/tan hybrid, with wood accents.

Exterior we plan on keeping it fairly stock. My great uncle's car was a dark green, so that is the color we will paint it. We like the 2-tone look of a vinyl roof, but not the associated moisture issues. Therefore, we are considering painting the roof black, and keeping the chrome trim, so it will have the general look of a vinyl roof car without the headaches.

We are still waiting on the car to be delivered, so unfortunately I don't have too many specifics to give on the car. As soon as it gets here we will go over it with a fine tooth comb to see exactly what we have.

Obviously money is a huge consideration in a project like this, but we are going to take our time with this project. We can do 99% of the labor, so the real costs are in sourcing parts. Baring any unforeseen circumstances, we should have the funds available for our current plan.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, if anybody has any suggestions or comments, let us know! We are still in the very early stages of researching and any suggestions of where to look would be very appreciated.

-John

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Good luck with the project and cherish every minute you get to spend with your dad.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Welcome John! Where did you get the car? Currious as to what shape it's in to start with - especially you being in "ECI" country! ;>) I think you will find you are far from being alone in that department LOL! Sounds like you have some plans taking shape. That's the best way to start any project really, make a very solid plan beforehand and do your best to stick to it. Costs start to go up when you deviate. You will be amazed at how much more that car will mean to you when you've put the sweat into it! Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody!

The car is from Tuscon, originally Colorado. Supposed to be fairly rust free, we'll find out when it get here.

We are trying to come up with a solid plan right now, as, having done several "rustorations" on cars we have learned that you will end up kicking yourself if you aren't positive of what you have, what you want, and how to get there.

I think we are fairly set on paint scheme, engine, suspension, brakes (although we still need to looking into sourcing power brake components, and what size brakes we want to go with), and interior. Still looking into transmission and rear-end.

This is the engine we are looking at http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9278 it can still be found at several distributors, although Ford has it listed as NLA for some reason.

This is the suspension setup http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf/TCI_pg01-02.pdf .

The car currently has a 3 speed auto and 8 inch rear end (I believe all small blocks of this vintage came standard with am 8 inch). We (I, I'll talk my dad into it sooner or later) want to got to a manual transmission. I have been doing a little research into what will stand up to the abuse the engine will dish out. I have found: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMG-TCET5008/ or http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMG-TCET4615/ . It appears that input spline count is going to be a deciding factor in making the correct transmission choice. I figure that we will need a custom drive shaft made no matter what, so output count would be a moot point. I am not sure where to find what the proper input spline count would be. I figure it would be depending upon the crank used. I also need to see into getting the proper bell housing, and clutch assembly.

Rear end wise I am still in a haze. Would it be a good idea to get the 9" unit from TCI, and put something like a Detroit Locker in it, with Currie gears?

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. The only transmission and differential swaps I have ever done were from one OEM unit to another that was originally available OEM as well, so I am still a little unsure about everything that I need to look into.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If you can swing the TCI fron suspension, why not 'spring' for the independant rear susepnsion as well. Three pedal cars are always cooler...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Can I post yet? Apparently I can.

Thank you everybody for the welcome!

My dad and I are looking quite forward to getting started on the car. It is originally from Colorado I believe, but has spent the last part of its life in Arizona. It is still being shipped, so until it comes in, that is about all the specifics I can answer. Hopefully it will be low on rust.

Having done several "rustorations" previously, we realize that making a plan is of utmost importance. We know we will end up doing more work and spending more $$ unless we figure out exactly what we have, what we want, and how to get there.

This is the particular engine we are looking at: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9278 . It is NLA from Ford for some reason, but I believe Jegs as well as a few others still carry it.

Suspension wise this is the setup we are thinking: http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf/TCI_pg01-02.pdf . I think IRS is not going to happen, just the IRS will end up costing as much as TCI front and back! ( The only one I could find in my research was Mind Freak, around $7000 I believe)

I have been looking into the transmission as of late. I found this site: http://moderndriveline.com/catalog/custom_mustang_sb_TKO_kit.htm . Which seems to have everything we will need to swap from the 3 speed auto to a modern transmission. My dad is thinking about sticking with an auto, in which case I will need to find an auto transmission that can hold up to at least 500 hp. I know they exist, but I have spent my time researching manuals.

Rear end wise is where I am lost. Right now I am thinking that getting the 9" rear end supplied by TCI with a Detroit Locker and Currie gears (I'll figure out the ratio later, but 3.55 seems to be a good compromise between mechanical advantage and fuel economy). I have absolutely no experience with rear end swaps other than changing one IRS diff for another stock one with a more desirable ratio (3.5 to 3.91) on my Datsun.

I think we are on the right track. We have a good base plan that we can build upon. We still need to decide on accessories like brake size or suspension finish, as well as sourcing items like the power brake setup and other items.

One other idea that I am trying to sell my dad on is either a very dark green or black (same as the roof) stripe on the hood in the center section. I think if we made it subtle enough that it only "popped" in the right lighting it could add a very cool dimension to the paint job, but he is afraid it may cheapen the look of the car.

If anyone has any suggestion about our options or current leanings, I would love to hear them.

Thanks for your time,

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I post?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently I can. Hopefully is stays up this time!

Thanks for the welcome, I am sure I will be around here often.

To answer Bad69cat, the car is from Arizona, though originally from Colorado. Hopefully it won't have much rust, been there done that.

My dad and I realize the important of having a battle plan before tackling the car. Having done several "rustorations" in the past, we realize that we need to figure out what we have, what we want, and how to get there.

We are fairly set in engine choice. 99% we go with a crate from Ford Racing. Leaning towards this one right now:http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9290. I realize that it is NLA from Ford, but Jegs has it for 7500. It should fit fine since the strut towers will be history, and it is rear pan, which is what TCI recommends.

Suspension wise TCI's kit here:http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf/TCI_pg01-02.pdf is probably the route we will take. It will clear up room for headers coming off the Z heads, as well as modernizing the suspension. We will also install the rear suspension setup as well. I think we will end up with 11 or 12 inch brakes, depending on what we can fit into an old school appearing wheel. We want to go with a stock appearing wheel, or Cragar. 16 inch is probably the biggest we would like to go, but if we need to go bigger we will have to spend a lot of time looking for something that fits with the time period of the car.

I think we will forgo IRS, as the Mind Freak kit I found was around 7 grand, which is a little more that we would like to spend. If we want to get in a car that handles REALLY well, we'll hop in our Datsuns. Plus I think the brutality of a live rear axle is part of the fun of a muscle car!

I want a manual transmission, but my dad is leaning towards auto. I have sourced a tko600 from here: http://moderndriveline.com/catalog/custom_mustang_sb_TKO_kit.htm as they seem to have everything needed for the swap. Either way, we need a transmission that can handle at least 500 hp.

The rear end is where I get lost. Right now I am thinking that the 9" rear end from TCI, with a Detroit locker and Currie gears (probably around 3.55) would be a good choice, but I still have a lot of reading up to do on this.

I am also pushing the idea that we paint either a very dark green or black stripe on the center of the hood. Making sure that is it quite subtle so it only "pops" in the right lighting. I think it could add a really neat dimension to the hood, but my dad is afraid it may cheapen the look a little.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated, as I am swimming in a sea of information, but don't have a firm footing on which to stand. I think I am getting there, but I have a lot more reading to do. Any suggestions of something to look at would be great. Being an engineering student, even if it is something that we don't use, I am still quite interested in just reading about parts and accessories.

Thanks again for taking the time to read,

-John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I can, just nothing long.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a longer post written. Just waiting to be able to post it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully it stays up this time!

Thanks for the welcome; I am sure I will be around here often.

To answer Bad69cat, the car is from Arizona, though originally from Colorado. Hopefully it won't have much rust, been there done that.

My dad and I realize the important of having a battle plan before tackling the car. Having done several "rustorations" in the past, we realize that we need to figure out what we have, what we want, and how to get there.

We are fairly set in engine choice. 99% we go with a crate from Ford Racing. Leaning towards this one right now:http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9290. I realize that it is NLA from Ford, but Jegs has it for 7500. It should fit fine since the strut towers will be history, and it is rear pan, which is what TCI recommends.

Suspension wise TCI's kit here:http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf/TCI_pg01-02.pdf is probably the route we will take. It will clear up room for headers coming off the Z heads, as well as modernizing the suspension. We will also install the rear suspension setup as well. I think we will end up with 11 or 12 inch brakes, depending on what we can fit into an old school appearing wheel. We want to go with a stock appearing wheel, or Cragar. 16 inch is probably the biggest we would like to go, but if we need to go bigger we will have to spend a lot of time looking for something that fits with the time period of the car.

I think we will forgo IRS, as the Mind Freak kit I found was around 7 grand, which is a little more that we would like to spend. If we want to get in a car that handles REALLY well, we'll hop in our Datsuns. Plus I think the brutality of a live rear axle is part of the fun of a muscle car!

I want a manual transmission, but my dad is leaning towards auto. I have sourced a tko600 from here: http://moderndriveline.com/catalog/custom_mustang_sb_TKO_kit.htm as they seem to have everything needed for the swap. Either way, we need a transmission that can handle at least 500 hp.

The rear end is where I get lost. Right now I am thinking that the 9" rear end from TCI, with a Detroit locker and Currie gears (probably around 3.55) would be a good choice, but I still have a lot of reading up to do on this.

I am also pushing the idea that we paint either a very dark green or black stripe on the center of the hood. Making sure that is it quite subtle so it only "pops" in the right lighting. I think it could add a really neat dimension to the hood, but my dad is afraid it may cheapen the look a little.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated, as I am swimming in a sea of information, but don't have a firm footing on which to stand. I think I am getting there, but I have a lot more reading to do. Any suggestions of something to look at would be great. Being an engineering student, even if it is something that we don't use, I am still quite interested in just reading about parts and accessories.

-John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, after restoring that car I am shocked by the amount of parts that are available for the Cougar. So many parts to look through!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully it stays up this time!

Thanks for the welcome; I am sure I will be around here often.

-John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My dad and I picked up our new project yesterday, straight from Tucson. It is in pretty good shape. Needs a passenger door, some dents pulled in the passenger rocker panel, and some work done on the driver fender. The best thing is the only real rust we found was a hole about the size of a quarter on the inside of the quarter panel, where it seems there used to be a drain hole.

We were a little worried about the condition under the vinyl roof, so one of the first things we did was tear it off. Luckily other than some surface rust and very minor pitting it is in solid shape.

It is definitely a much better starting point than my 280z was, we are really looking forward to getting started on the work!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some more pics (apparently I can only post 10 in one post).

Here is my new fuel rail, with Aeromotive FPR, for my 280z.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And a couple more!

P.S. It's a '67. Motor Trend Car of the Year!

Even though that 289 is coming out, it still is a sweet sounding engine. It could probably use some refreshening, as when we started it up for the second time a lot of black soot came out of the tail pipe, but that might just be from running rich.

Sitting behind my dad at a stop sign, it was really cool watching the sequential turn signals, and the tail pipes were blowing perfect smoke rings.

We have already starting talking about finding a shell along the lines of a 240z to drop the 289 into, and turn into a dedicated track car, but we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves with those thoughts!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Looks like a great project (a great big project with the plans you have in mind!). Congratulations on picking up what looks like a very clean Cat. I hope you and your dad have fun with it and look forward to seeing pictures as you progress. Love the rims, honestly they have to be in my top 5 of wheel selections...

Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts