Mercury Cougar Owners banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
...I will now try in RI. We'll see...
I read in another thread that RI does not title cars 25 years of older. Looked a bit online and read that 2001 or older are not titled in RI. So not sure if RI is going to be a help? If you got a registration in RI would that make getting a title in MA easier/possible?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
You can easily get a car registered in MA without a title as long as you have a current registration from a non-title state. It's when you don't have either one that it becomes nearly impossible to register or title it here.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
You can easily get a car registered in MA without a title as long as you have a current registration from a non-title state. It's when you don't have either one that it becomes nearly impossible to register or title it here.
Hi Bill. Okay, good. I was just wondering/hoping it wasn't a possible dead end.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Well we will seen soon. If I register it in RI does that mean I have to put it on the road as well in Ri?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It sure would be nice if all states would at least make it a consistant way to title vehicles. The laws vary widely - and really when a car gets past 15 years or so old, there isn't a lot of tax value left in it...... why not just shift them to a classic title of some sort? I realize there are ceratin safety and emissions tests that have to pass from state to state based on the vehicles age, but if somebody has the desire to keep up with it - it sure would be nice to have easy transfer of titles on older ones. In Iowa you can get a bonded title for a vehicle that has no title, then you have a waiting period after they put it out in public to ensure it's not on a lien or under some type of claim (stolen for example), and then you get the title after thta period ends...... what a pain!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
NH is pretty simple, you get the out of state vehicle's identification numbers inspected by a law enforcement official or an approved inspector, you then go with your bill of sale and register and request a title (provided the vehicle is at least 25 years old). A few weeks later you have a title in your hand. Approximate cost $25.00 for the title, $10.00 for the town fee and $10.00 for the state. Biggest hitch is the car has to at least be in the state to have the vins inspected.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Well we will seen soon. If I register it in RI does that mean I have to put it on the road as well in Ri?
No, you don't have to put it on the road in RI. The car I bought was a non-runner. The seller got it registered, then gave me the registration. There was no issue with the RMV at that point. You just need a RI address for the registration. Any friends in RI that will let you register the car to their address?

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
I'm with the rest of the guys here, and very impressed with what you have been able to accomplish! Don't worry about the time frame...I turned 50 this year, and am still working on completing my "5 year plan" that I laid out while I was going to high school.
My 69 was painted finally in 2012. My 67 got an engine transplant completed in 11. My 68 has had the most attention of them all and is a mostly running driving car, with the exception of working creature comforts, like heat.
That you have been able to hang onto them says a lot. A great many cars get taken apart with gusto, and then sold for parts, as others have mentioned. I'm still jealous of the shop set up!
Plus the Cougar, and now the running engine....We all want to hear it run!!!
I have many pictures and a few video clips on photobucket, in my signature link...

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't worry about being 50, I just turned 50 too and have a 4 year old and a 7 month old, both girls. All in its own time

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Thanks for the compliments Brian. The shop was a dream that took a long time to develop. I built most of it myself. This year its getting a tile floor and A/C! It has a radiant heater which I love. As far as the car Well............. I just never gave up! I'm hoping this will work. If not I'll try something else. Someone told me I would never finish it! They were wrong. I'm going to farm a little of the bodywork out though. The race nose is flimsy and need help. I like the tilt it makes it a joy to work on. You can just sit on the tire!! It's a simple car it should be fun to drive when done. Hopefully with the rack and pinion it will handle well! The body is pretty good once the nose is done. I will have my guy skin the doors. I have a pair of NOS door skins. That should make it straight

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
The build continues. I can't believe how long it has been since I have posted. The car is currently titles in MA! Yay! I went the RI route. Now it awaits it's turn at the body shop. My wife's car is first then mine. I am looking for a G-force hood to replace he race hood I currently have. Now that it is titled I can get her painted and drive it!

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Hi Chris! Glad you are still reaching for the golden ring. Here's hoping that your body shop is a good one and you don't get stuck in body shop "jail"!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine are aftermarket I bought over 10 years ago. Unfortunately I have no idea what they are. I know if there corroded beg or borrow someone bead blast cabinet and bead blast them. You can get them looking like new. Then sand and polish the parts you want shiny. Clear or paint the parts you don't want shiny before you polich the shiny parts. That way the polish won't get in the alum pores
chris

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
The time lapses are nuts on this thread. I finally got the Martz panels. They are nice but he took forever! I have them fitted and the passenger one has the tabs welded on and it is bolted with the hood hinge. I need to weld the mounting tabs for the drivers side then I can mount the hood. The drivers hinge needs some shaving off the bottom but should fit.

81 - 100 of 141 Posts