Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this car since i was 17. It had a 302 in it that I blew up back then and installed a 289. I then upgrade to a 460. It had it's share of floor rot so i decided to install 2 X 3 rear frame rails and a vette rear. Dare to be different. I then decided the front shock towers were a drag so off they came. I bought a fiberglass tilt nose and a Jag front k-member. The engine and tranny mounted a 12 point rollcage installed and then the car sat. I kept it in storage. I then went to college grad school med school residency and bought a farm house. I had other cars built a turbo car (signature) and never touched the Cougar until now. I built a 30 X 40 shop at my farm with a lift, blast cabinet and all the toys. I have several cars I need to work on. Including the newer twin turbo car to replace the one that got stolen. My wife says why don't you work on the Cougar. So I'm working on it after all these years. It's fun. Here are some pics what do you guys think

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics

The metal above the rear is 304 SS. It is also on the outside of the frame rails on both sides of the car. It has some surface rust from sitting all these years it was in dry storage but **** happens. I was thinking of sanding it and por-15. What do you guys think? Also here are some shop pics

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pics

The shop barn and compressor, It's a 120 gallon tank 10 hp twinstage saylor beal to power my zero blast cabinet. It's plumbed around the shop with 200 feet of 3/4 inch copper. The lift is a rotary asymetric

Attachments

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Love the barn & shop

Don't like the Snow

Impressive mods on the car,a little hard core for me but you fit the ECI syndrome perfectly and that is a compliment!!!!!

Looks li ke you've paid your dues and it's time to reward yourself. Keep us a****** of your progress
Cheers
Z

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Interesting car and nice shop setup. Welcome back to the madness.

Please add your location to your profile. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Love the shop; impressive frame....looks stout!
Welcome to the addiction with no patch, I think is what Yelo was really saying!
Todd

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ECI syndrome??????????

I just talked with a new welder I'm using. I built the whole car welding and all with the exception of the roll cage. I also built a set of equal length headers. I had the welder weld the pipes into the flanges. While I was able to butt the tubes and weld them i had the toughest time at the flange. He also welded some fittings on my alum tank and ss exhaustt. I'll try to get some more oics this weekend,. I also belong to another board that has turbomusgs on it. They weren't interested at all in the cougar. I'm glad i found you guys. It was tough to get motivated again and with all the positve comeents i feel like i got a surge of energy. It's been at least 9 years since I've worked on it. I.ve had it over twenty. I'm 38 now i will be 30 in Sept. I will finish this car. Everyone said no i will prove them wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
ECI Syndrome..... East Coast Idiot Syndrome

Most guys like myself on the west coast would have pitched your car long time ago because of the rust issues. East coast guys have serious stones and lack of brains that tell them, "Hey, I can fix that!!!!!"

It's all good.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
...I.ve had it over twenty. I'm 38 now i will be 30 in Sept. I will finish this car. Everyone said no i will prove them wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111
Yo, my buds ('cept for the ones that REALLY know me) said I'd never finish mine either (I've had it since '86). Check the gallery. It's been done for a few years now. All it takes is time...and a little cabbage.:smoke:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exhaust 3 inch 304 ss. Not finished just test fiting everything. I found a guy that will come to my house and sandblast the bottom for $200. I will have to dissasemble the car and put it on the rotiiserie. But for now the assembly continues. I want it running before i take it aprt. That way all the fittings and brackets are made and welded in place so i won't have to touch it up later.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where do I live? East Coast yes but Ma not Conn.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
That has to be one of the most bizarre assemblies of parts that I've ever seen on a Cougar. And I mean that in the most endearing way.

Glad to see you've kept the car all these years. Good Luck in moving forward. Like the barn too!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's kinda crazy but it should be a fun little racer when done. I can't wait to get it running again. Once I do that it has to be completely dissambled and the bottom is going to get sandblasted and painted. I found a guy who will come to my house an do it for $200

·
Registered
666 Posts
All that fab and welding

and you did not paint it well enough to prevent it from rusting? and what's up with that yellow water pump..........doc?......get it?...wats up doc? I think you have paint issues you need to deal with! I will share what my son's Karate instructor teaches the kids. "Never give up, never never never give up"........E.C.I. is a badge of honor.....wear it with pride and don't let those WEST coast guy's fool you................they are just jealous because they can't get rust where they live.............preventing them from learning how to weld....................which means they never learned how to do the "HOT SLAG SHUFFLE" which we all know the chick's dig .
Mercinary.out

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well more problems solved. I ordered a 2003 Cobra hydrobooster from a guy on line. It came and fits between the engine valve cover and roll bar. My firewall has a bed in it so it didn't sit flat. my machinist is making a billet bracket adapter so it will sit flush. It should have kick ass brakes 4 wheel disc jag and vette with that cool differential parking brake. I have some more figuring to do but most of the hard design stuff is done. The engine front was removed from a junkyard 460. I got the power steering alternator brackets and powersteering pump for $25. Everything is blasted and ready for powder coating. The engine will be ford blue no yellow. I just recived an ARP stud for my relocated oil pump. What a pain that was to get. I can know mount my oil pump. I also just bid on a new firewall gas pedal setup. The factory linkage wouldn't work.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts