Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Cat of mine that's on the way... it's a paint code 'D', which according to CCOA web site wasn't in use until 1968 for Cougs. It was a 1967 standard color for Mustangs (Acapulco Blue).

It is a pretty late build date (June 28). Is this a case of the 1968 color becoming available for late model cars? Or is the web site wrong?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i havew a CD that has paint chips from all domestic cars from the 30s until 1972 and it only shows the Nordic Blue for 1968.. there wasnt a D code shown for 1967 at all. hmm. odd... maybe a special order color? i coulnt even find it under a Lincoln or Ford color.. so im lost as to how.

·
11,000 Posts
Nordic blue is the Cougar description for Acapulco blue which is a Mustwang term. It was available in 1967 also.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sixt9coug said:
i havew a CD that has paint chips from all domestic cars from the 30s until 1972 and it only shows the Nordic Blue for 1968.. there wasnt a D code shown for 1967 at all. hmm. odd... maybe a special order color? i coulnt even find it under a Lincoln or Ford color.. so im lost as to how.
It was definitely a Ford color in the 1967, at least for Mustangs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Royce Peterson said:
Nordic blue is the Cougar description for Acapulco blue which is a Mustwang term. It was available in 1967 also.
Nordic Blue is the same color as Acapulco Blue... you gotta love FoMoCo marketing!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Royce Peterson said:
Specifically, I was looking at the CCOA Registry project, with the popup window for color codes.

I know that Acapulco Blue was available on Mustangs in 1967. Is that what you were saying, or did you mean that it was available as a non-special order Cougar color? If the latter, was it available throughout the model year (in which case the CCOA site is wrong), or only very late?

·
11,000 Posts
I have no idea if it was one of the spring colors for 1967, that's a possibility. It's not uncommon though.

Phil Parcells could probably tell you what the earliest Cougar in his registry was with that color if it matters to you. His email is :
[email protected]
or:
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Steve, to confuse more, my 69 I just sold was Med Blue metalic, which is the same as Acapulco Blue on a Ford in 69.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
66_Pony said:
Specifically, I was looking at the CCOA Registry project, with the popup window for color codes.

I know that Acapulco Blue was available on Mustangs in 1967. Is that what you were saying, or did you mean that it was available as a non-special order Cougar color? If the latter, was it available throughout the model year (in which case the CCOA site is wrong), or only very late?
Nordic Blue (Mercury) and Acapulco (Ford) are the SAME color, just a different name for marketing differences.

Tim B

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tim B said:
Nordic Blue (Mercury) and Acapulco (Ford) are the SAME color, just a different name for marketing differences.

Tim B
Sure, I understand that. My question involved the Cougar availablilty in 1967, considering that the CCOA registry says it wasn't a Cougar color that year.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Royce Peterson said:
I have no idea if it was one of the spring colors for 1967, that's a possibility. It's not uncommon though.

Phil Parcells could probably tell you what the earliest Cougar in his registry was with that color if it matters to you. His email is :
[email protected]
or:
[email protected]
Thanks for the pointer, Royce. A response from Phil:

It appears that code "D" in Cougars was available starting Jan 67, or at
mid-model year, since the model year begins in July of the previous year
(1966). Therefore, it wouldn't have been a special order.

The earliest Cougar reported with Nordic Blue paint is 16A or Jan 16,
1967. The latest is 11V or August 11, 1967.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tim B said:
There were 6252 Nordic Blue 67s made according to Marti's 'Cougar By The Numbers', #9 out of 19 colors in terms of popularity.

Tim B
1967 production was something like 150,000 cars? So, 4% of the '67s were Nordic Blue, and there were 10 colors LESS popular. Wow.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Do you have the Data Plate info? CBTN can narrow it down even further with the interior combo. But a Marti report will really get down to the specifics!
http://www.martiauto.com/

BTW you need to post a BIGGER pic so we can see it better! Nice car. I've seen a few Nordic Blue 68s but I don't have any pics of a 67 Nordic Blue 67.

Tim B

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tim B said:
Do you have the Data Plate info? CBTN can narrow it down even further with the interior combo.
Yes...

7F91A631363
Body 65C
Color D
Trim 4B
Date 28F
DSO 52
Axel 1
Trans W

But a Marti report will really get down to the specifics!
http://www.martiauto.com/
I am familiar with the Marti reports, and plan on taking advantage of them in the not-too-distant future. Ford purged their computer records prior to 1967, so I've never been able to find out anything more about my Mustang. :(

BTW you need to post a BIGGER pic so we can see it better! Nice car. I've seen a few Nordic Blue 68s but I don't have any pics of a 67 Nordic Blue 67.
I'll update the pic when I get it local. You're still not seeing a '67 Nordic Blue. The paint shop used the "closest color they could find", and it looks like a Presidential Blue to me now. I'm going to call them and see if they can tell me what they used.

If the day ever comes when I need a repaint, I'll take it back to the original D-code color.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
CBTNs: 211 made with 4B (standard blue interior) and D paint (Nordic Blue)!

I see what you meant about the CCOA not showing the D color code (below)

7F91A631363 65C D 4B 28F 52 1 W
Model Year: 1967
Assembly Plant: Dearborn, Michigan
Body Style: Standard, Hardtop
Engine Model: 289-4V
Sequential Number: 31363
Body Style: Standard, Hardtop, Bench Seat
Exterior Color: ?
Interior Trim: Lt. Blue Crinkle -- All Vinyl
Scheduled Mfg. Date: JUNE 28
District Sales Office: Los Angeles, CA
Differential type/Ratio: 3.00 Non-Locking
Transmition Model: C-4 Automatic

The bench seat in that combo should make it very rare.

Tim Brandsoy
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I like the so called bench seat in Cougars, it's not like the common flat bench in a Comet or Fairlane. Plus you have a place to rest your elbow, where if you had a console in a 67 there wasn't an armrest. Comfort is good!

Tim B

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
what?? i thought bench cars were worth more??? hmm maybe thats another Cougar thing

1 - 20 of 43 Posts