Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question as to what the difference is between the standard base body of a 1967 Cougar Vs. the Luxury body. I need this to figure out an old builders plate. The car I am looking for has a black Vinyl roof, full center console with ash tray and roll up tambor cubby in the front. Would this be considered the luxury model and if not how would these features be listed on the body plate? I have the decoder ring from Mercurystuff.com but am having trouble with a few items.

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The body itself is the same. The XR-7 (what I assume you're calling Luxury) was a trim package. You got a woodgrain dash face (Standard had a color-matched vinyl dash face), nicer seats, emblems on the C-Pillars, and (on '67 only) 7 vertical bars on the rocker panel in front of the rear wheels to denote XR-7... etc.

Check out this info on Cougar VIN number decoding: http://www.fordmercurycougarxr7.com/Cougarinfo/index.htm Hope that helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Blitz,
I was confused because I thought the Luxury style and XR7 were two different codes. The car was not an XR7 so I would imagine the code should be 65A for standard 2 door hardtop with Bucket Seats, not the 65B for Luxury. It had the smaller 289-4V engine rather than the larger one for the XR7. It did not have any wood trim. The only differences It had from what I have seen in most Cougars is the Vinyl roof and the center console. Thank you for clearing this up for me.
Randy

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Just to be clear, 65B is the body code for XR-7. There is no "luxury" body code, just XR-7 and standard. (With additional codes for bench seat and convertible, for some years.)
If the car is an XR-7, the VIN's 3rd and 4th digits should be 93. 91 for a standard.
Options like console and vinyl top could be ordered on either model.
Likewise, the 289 2V engine was standard in all '67 Cougars, other than GTs. There was no special XR-7 engine. 289 4V and 390 were optional for both the standard and XR-7.
If you have a car with a 65B body code without woodgrain trim and factory in-dash tachometer, then either the car has been extensively modified or, more likely, the door has been replaced and the original ID tag was not retained.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the car right after my Grandfather who bought it new. The info you have given has been very helpful. I do know that the Engine was a 289 with the 4 barrel carb because it was hard to keep adjusted so I eventually put a Holly Webber in it. It was a standard 67 base car because I do remember what the XR7 had as far as markings and it wasn't one of those. My grandfather probably ordered it with the extras because he was areal estate agent and wanted to treat himself to something really nice. This is what my family remembers. In hindsight I do believe the car was purchased at Capitol Ford in San Jose. I seem to remember the dealer name on the pouch that I use to keep the manual in. It seems I am getting very close to being able to reconstruct the info I need to get Kevin started on finding the service sheet. I doubt there is anything left of the car but it would be nice to see how long it lasted after I sold it in 1979-80ish.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There we several sports/luxury options available to order as extras in 67 as well. Mine has several. EG;

The console you describe is the typical one, has the silver slider that goes up and down with some space behind it.
- The sports console has a clock in that area instead.

Most cougars came with vinyl bucket seats for the driver and passenger, however the upgrade from the factory was all leather ;)

Also, if your super lucky, you have the AM/FM radio .... I only have the AM ...most do.

And again, you could also get the tilt steering option, but an upgrade to that was tilt away / tilt steering

Here is a shot of those options installed in my 67 XR7 with sports clock, tilt away steering and leather buckets (original)

interior.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts