Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase driver side or set or White Kick panels in good condition / 1967 Mercury Cougar

- Merry Christmas!

·
Contributing Member
1,880 Posts
You could always do what many others have done. Buy the Mustang Kick Panels, use your old ones as a template and drill your own holes.

I have done this several times. They come out great if you take your time.

I did the ones pictured in about 12 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the idea!! I appreciate the input! Happy New Year 2020!!

You could always do what many others have done. Buy the Mustang Kick Panels, use your old ones as a template and drill your own holes.

I have done this several times. They come out great if you take your time.

I did the ones pictured in about 12 hours.

·
Contributing Member
1,880 Posts
Thank you for the idea!! I appreciate the input! Happy New Year 2020!!
The best way that I found to do this by hand is;

1 cut a piece of alum sheet .063 1.5 inches wide x 1 inch longer than hole pattern.

2 Use one of your kick panels and make a template with three rows of holes.

There are a couple of ways to do it, you can either use a transfer punch but depending how good you are with it your holes could be off. You can also layout the pattern on the piece of alum. That's what I did and that's why my holes are straight and evenly spaced.

I made a .063 aluminum drill temp. I layed out three rows of holes and used .098 Clecos to move the template around. Took my time, used a drill press as much as I could and a hand drill for the rest. Sharp drill bit and slow to med speed. If you drill slow you get the spirly chaffings.

You have to be gentle with the drill temp because you will be drilling over 2,000 holes.

You will have to measure your first two holes to pin your temp on your new kick panel. I made a paper pattern to position the hole pattern so I could drill the first two holes.

Tip, USE TAPE TO COVER HOLES YOU DON'T WANT TO DRILL! Remember the holes are evenly spaced X & Y so you can turn your temp in different directions.

A quick glance and mine look OEM but look closer. Look at the holes on stiffening rib and compare it to an original. Not even close but who looks that close?

Anyway, bottom line, you won't get straight or even spaced holes unless you make a drill temp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts