Mercury Cougar Owners banner

61 - 80 of 927 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Not a very common rear for sure! It will definitely take anythintg you throw at it....won't let you pass to many gas staions however. If you want to street this cat - you will surely want to either go to a lower ratio or look at putting in a overdrive trans of some sort. She will be be screaming at 55 with a 3 or 4 speed
The plan is to run a Liberty faceplates TKO-600 which will have an overdrive to make highway cruising more enjoyable. I am still deciding on rear tire size, but I am leaning toward a Mickey Thompson 255/60-15, that is 27" tall, which given the weight and power should be perfect with the 4.30 gear. With the overdrive it will turn about 2250 @ 65mph.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So I got a line on an engine. Super low mile LH8 which is an aluminum block 5.3L engine that came in the Hummer H3s and Colorado trucks. These little engines are rated at 300HP and have better flowing heads than other 5.3L engines. This particular variant also doesn't have some of the annoying features like variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management. While both can be removed, that just costs more money. The only thing I plan on doing is installing a different cam and upgrading the valve springs.

Andrew

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
A CHEVY engine? Yuck!

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Well...I just got off the phone and pulled the trigger on a 2009 LH8. The LH8 is an aluminum block 5.3L with the good 799 heads and it does not have either the VVT or the AFM, which makes my life much easier. This engine is super clean and only has 368 miles on it. I probably paid a little too much, but you can't argue with a nearly new engine. Stay tuned for some pictures.

Andrew

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
yeah, that's about as new as you can get........but it's still a Chebby! lol What's wrong with going vvt? - if your going modern anyway, it sure would make it a very smooth purring cat on the highway

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
yeah, that's about as new as you can get........but it's still a Chebby! lol What's wrong with going vvt? - if your going modern anyway, it sure would make it a very smooth purring cat on the highway
I have nothing against the VVT. It is a very simple system and definitely broadens the torque curve of these engines. There are also a few companies that have developed camshafts that work with the VVT and substantially increase torque and power.

The main reason that I don't want VVT is that I plan to use the Holley Dominator EFI system on this build, which does not support VVT. I m going with the Dominator instead of the HP system because I want to be able to retain the drive by wire throttle body.

Andrew

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Subscribing
Love swaps like this.
Nice work, LT is a great engine (weight, dimensions, aftermarket support) if you can overlook the "brand" thing.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Subscribing
Love swaps like this.
Nice work, LT is a great engine (weight, dimensions, aftermarket support) if you can overlook the "brand" thing.
Thanks Art. Given the number of views, I have a feeling there is a silent majority that is enjoying this thread.

Just to be clear, I have no real brand loyalty. I used to have a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 that I purchased new. As I said before, if Ford would make a modern engine that was smaller than a refrigerator, I would be using it with this build. It is unfortunate that Ford has gone to a more bulky configuration with the overhead valves.

It is also interesting that many here would prefer that I cut up the car to make a modern engine fit instead of keeping it intact and putting the "wrong" engine in it. When all is said and done the engine will look something similar to this:

Except without the carbs and front distributor. I am sure you would agree if I kept the engine as pictured 9/10 people would just think it was a Ford.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Well I for one have no idea what an LH8 is or looks like but if it looks anything like a regular small block Chevy than I would say that 9 out of 10 Ford guys will know that it is not a Ford engine in your car. Personally I would rather see a car cut up to fit a different Ford engine over not cutting and using a GM product but it is your car and your money so while I have been following this thread I have not commented on the GM engine idea before. That's just my opinion though. I wish you the best of luck as you continue your build. And yes, I will continue to read it to see how things are going for you.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Fabrication and innovation to make something like this work I have great respect for, and I'm sure I'll enjoy following the adventure. My gut reaction remains but skill is skill and I'm all about that.

·
Contributing Member
5,863 Posts
Thanks Art. Given the number of views, I have a feeling there is a silent majority that is enjoying this thread.

Just to be clear, I have no real brand loyalty. I used to have a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 that I purchased new. As I said before, if Ford would make a modern engine that was smaller than a refrigerator, I would be using it with this build. It is unfortunate that Ford has gone to a more bulky configuration with the overhead valves.

It is also interesting that many here would prefer that I cut up the car to make a modern engine fit instead of keeping it intact and putting the "wrong" engine in it. When all is said and done the engine will look something similar to this:

Except without the carbs and front distributor. I am sure you would agree if I kept the engine as pictured 9/10 people would just think it was a Ford.

Andrew
Right hand drive car.

It is so much easier to use LS engines in OZ than late model Ford engines, because the local 5.4 is way too big, too heavy and cost and technology prohibitive. If you are sticking with Ford, then you are better off with stroked and injected windsor than the modern stuff. Best modern Ford engine would be ecoBoost 4

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Leon,

Good eye! I found that picture and some details. That is actually a LS3 that has been "demodernized." Gone are the EFI and the coil-near-plug ignition, replaced by dual quads and a distributor. My goal is to create a similar looking engine package, but retain the benefits of EFI and modern ignition, and retain a more traditional "hot rod" look.

An essential element of having a "hot rod" engine is the sound that comes with an aggressive cam shaft. Since I am going with the Holley EFI system, tuning will be much easier compared to tuning a factory ECU. The factory ECUs use both MAF and MAP input to determine load and subsequently the fuel and ignition, while the Holley uses a simpler MAP only, speed density fueling strategy. To get the hot rod sound and also add power my plan is to use the GM ASA cam (or something similar). The GM ASA cam was originally developed for circle track racing when the ASA sanctioning body was using sealed LS1 engines. The cam is a longer duration but low lift design that is easy on valve springs (more durability), while boosting torque in the mid and upper RPM range, as you might expect in a circle track engine. The tight lobe separation increases overlap which results in the hot rod sound. With the 4.30 rear gear and the 2.87 first gear of the TKO-600, this combination will not be lacking in low end pull.

Here is an example of what a 5.3L sounds like with the ASA cam:

Andrew

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Those engines are definitely sexy, but a) they don't fit unless I want to completely hack up the car, and b) want to spend $15-20K (maybe more) on an engine. It might seem like this will be a high dollar build, but as of now, with the engine purchased, I am approximately 0 (zero) dollars into the build, because I sold off the Boss 302 for more than I purchased the car for. By the time I am all done, I should have about $7-8K into this build.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

·
Registered
136 Posts
In a way, a comparison of an LS motor and a Kaase Boss 429 are at an extreme. And $23,000 is not all that much money in this day and age for such a motor aimed at a really small market.Not that I have an extra $23K laying around. On my pension I don't have an extra $23.00 so it's not like I speak from a lofty perch.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
In a way, a comparison of an LS motor and a Kaase Boss 429 are at an extreme. And $23,000 is not all that much money in this day and age for such a motor aimed at a really small market.Not that I have an extra $23K laying around. On my pension I don't have an extra $23.00 so it's not like I speak from a lofty perch.
Without even discussing the value of the Kaase engines, paying $23K for an engine is just insane and certainly not in my future. This whole build will be 1/3 of that.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Well...here it is. I am very pleased with what I got. This engine is exactly as advertised and I totally believe that it only has 386 miles on it. It was shipped on Wednesday and arrived at my door this afternoon. I'll get it mounted on an engine stand over the weekend and start collecting more parts.

If anyone is ever considering getting parts from a salvage yard, I can recommend Fierge Auto Parts in Quincy, IL with confidence. They were very nice to deal with.

Andrew

61 - 80 of 927 Posts