·
Registered
159 Posts
What happened?

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #922
I thought I would give a quick update on what is happening with the Cougar and a little about what's going on in my life.

The insurance company has been slow to work with, but they have been responsive. We have come to a settlement and I am hoping to receive a check soon. What happens to the Cougar is still up in the air. The damage is very fixable, but I am eager to start another project. On the other hand, it is tempting to fix the Cougar and build it to version 2.0. In the middle of March, right before the COVID-19 thing blew everything up, my wife and I were in Kansas City looking at various areas and houses. We plan to move there sometime in the next 60-90 days. This pandemic is the ultimate test of being able to deal with uncertainty, but we are managing it well.

I enjoy doing little project on the Cougar. It's hard to believe that it is almost five years since she has been on the road. With any car there are always maintenance issues to address. Since I have DBW throttle bodies that live outside the engine back, exposed to the elements, the wiring for the TBs has taken quite a beating. The sun's UV rays beat up the wiring insulation and this ultimately leads to DBW errors that leads to going into "limp mode."

The Holley DBW cables are quite long, so it is just a matter of stripping back the cable insulation and get to some new, fresh wires.

The DBW connectors are Metripack GT150 series. I purchased new connectors and already had the proper terminals and cable seals in my wiring tool box.

Good as new...

More to come...

Andrew

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #923
This week I finally got a settlement check from the other driver's insurance company. Despite being a little slow to respond and no doubt Covid-19 having something to do with that, I am pleased with the settlement. Given that my wife and I are in the process of relocating, the repairs on the Cougar are put on hold. The car is running and driving and it doesn't make much sense to start any sort of repair process at the moment.

As a follow up to the last update, I had my buddy Blake design some really neat covers for the throttle body connectors. He drew these up in SolidWorks and 3D printed them out of ABS plastic.

I had to de-pin the terminals from the connector body and fish the wires through. The fit is spot on!!!

Here you can see the difference between the 3D printed covers and my old balloon solution. I think these look much better!

Since I have installed these, we have had several really heavy storms with a lot of rain. The next morning I was able to start it up and have had zero issues. I think the combination of the new connectors and these covers should make this a fairly long term solution to keeping the throttle body connectors dry and protected from UV.

These covers would actually also be a great addition to any engine that uses the DBW throttle bodies. If anyone is interested in them, send me a PM and I will see if Blake wants to make some more.

Andrew

·
Registered
159 Posts
Always loved your attn to detail!

921 - 926 of 926 Posts