Mercury Cougar Owners banner

41 - 60 of 927 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Sure looks like a 9 inch housing. See if you can put a socket on a extentionbon all the nuts holding the center section. If so it would not be a 9 inch.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Sure looks like a 9 inch housing. See if you can put a socket on a extentionbon all the nuts holding the center section. If so it would not be a 9 inch.
To elaborate on this the only pumpkin mounting nut that you will not be able to get a socket on is the one at the 6:00 position. Also while you are under there look to see if there is a metal tag under one of the nuts. If so post the info on the tag here as that will tell us a lot about the rear.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
So I had a chance to have a little time with my Cougar today. I took a few pictures of the rear suspension and I would love to know what some of the Cougar experts see. I am not at all familiar with this chassis, so I don't know what is "stock" and what has been altered.

There are some older looking traction bars on the car. They look similar to CalTrak bars, but obviously they aren't. Does anyone have any idea as to their origins? I also see a booster spring on the driver's side...Andrew
The suspension looks to be mostly stock. The coil spring and traction bars are not stock. In the last suspension photo it looks like there is a sway bar, that would not be stock.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
So today I did a little more investigative work on the rear axle. The car is in storage but I was able to get a few pictures with a long arm reach, a cellphone, and some luck...LOL

From the looks of it, this is definitely a 9" with a Nodular iron carrier. See the N in the background?

Also, check out this cool pinion snubber arrangement. Has anyone ever seen something like that before? Is that a Daytona pinion support? ....w-4668-C

Does anyone have the secret decoder ring for Ford diff tags?

Andrew

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Andrew,the 0DB on the tag is the production date of the axle for year, month & week:0-1970, D-April & B-2nd week. John

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Look at www.fordification.com. You can id parts on that site. Says for 70 cougar 430 locking 9 inch 31 spline rear..
How do you know it was from a Cougar? Is it the WFU-L code?

Andrew
Twocats & Andrew, the link that I'm posting lists for a 70 Mustang also: http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford08.htm . Andrew, the link doesn't list a axle code of WFU-L, but looking at the pic of the tag that you posted, it looks like WFU-E and the link does list that axle code as does The Mustang & Cougar Tagbook from Marti Auto Works on page 118. One other note, in TM&CTB under "Comments", for that axle code WFU-E, the 4.30:1 ratio would have a Detroit Locker in the axle. That axle with that ratio would have been used with a 428SCJ or a BOSS 302 engine. John

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Twocats & Andrew, the link that I'm posting lists for a 70 Mustang also: http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford08.htm . Andrew, the link doesn't list a axle code of WFU-L, but looking at the pic of the tag that you posted, it looks like WFU-E and the link does list that axle code as does The Mustang & Cougar Tagbook from Marti Auto Works on page 118. One other note, in TM&CTB under "Comments", for that axle code WFU-E, the 4.30:1 ratio would have a Detroit Locker in the axle. That axle with that ratio would have been used with a 428SCJ or a BOSS 302 engine. John
John,

Thank you for the clarification. The previous owner did tell me that they were essentially creating their own 1967 Cougar Eliminator with the Drag Pack option using OEM Ford parts. This car was originally built in the early 1970s so I assume that all of these parts were easily obtainable from the parts department. That would also explain the pinion snubber.

Is this rear end "rare?" I suppose that is someone was looking to do a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang restoration, this rear end would be the "correct" one. Right?

Andrew

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do you have any idea of how well this cat ran? Lot's of thought went into building this car, especially in the traction department.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Andrew the pumpkin is tagged as a drag pack car. It's value is only for guy's restoring a drag pack optioned car. WFU-E is listed on page 8 http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford08.htm here is link. I wouldn't change unless you are looking for a lower gear in rear end like 350's. The 350 gears would give car better street manners. 430's good acceleration at start and bad highway.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Do you have any idea of how well this cat ran? Lot's of thought went into building this car, especially in the traction department.
I drove the car on a couple of occasions with the Boss 302...It was not impressive. It had a later aftermarket T10 (2.43 first gear I think) behind it and it wasn't super quick. Maybe it wasn't tuned right...who knows. Then again, my reference point at the time was my 1970 GTO that had a 502 big block chevy that ran low 12s.

I think even with a mild 5.3L this thing will run 11s. I plan on using a Liberty dog-ring TKO 600. So with the O.D. it will be quite street friendly.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
John,Thank you for the clarification.
Is this rear end "rare?" I suppose that is someone was looking to do a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang restoration, this rear end would be the "correct" one. Right?

Andrew
You're welcome Andrew, there were 7014 '70 BOSS 302 Mustangs built, but I don't have stats on how many came with that ratio. Yes, that would be the correct axle for a restoration on that year and model Mustang or a '70 Mustang with a 428SCJ (I don't know if a Detroit locker was used in the '70 Cougar).

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
You're welcome Andrew, there were 7014 '70 BOSS 302 Mustangs built, but I don't have stats on how many came with that ratio. Yes, that would be the correct axle for a restoration on that year and model Mustang or a '70 Mustang with a 428SCJ (I don't know if a Detroit locker was used in the '70 Cougar).
John,

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help. As of now, I see no reason to change this rear and I am quite confident that there is little danger of it being hurt considering I am not going to be throwing crazy power at it.

Andrew

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Not a very common rear for sure! It will definitely take anythintg you throw at it....won't let you pass to many gas staions however. If you want to street this cat - you will surely want to either go to a lower ratio or look at putting in a overdrive trans of some sort. She will be be screaming at 55 with a 3 or 4 speed

41 - 60 of 927 Posts