Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 40 of 927 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
cowl reinforcement plate and scott drake export brace if it will clear engine will also help make it more solid and the brace will also tell you if the towers have moved which they likely have

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
you might consider adding the boss 302 shock tower reinforcement kit 67 towers are very prone to cracking and caving in
Thanks for the suggestion. I was on YouTube and saw a video made by WCCC that featured both the Boss 302 shock tower reinforcement kit and the export brace. I will definitely look into doing both of those things. As of right now, there are no cracks anywhere in the shock towers. This car only has about 40K miles on the chassis and it has spent all of it's life in a garage. So despite being an Illinois car, it is relatively rust free.

Now if I could only find a low cost disk brake swap that uses late model components and will work with 15" wheels...anyone have any ideas? I am looking for something similar to the kit offered by Mustang Steve but that will work with 15" wheels.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I too only feed my cats Ford parts, but sounds like you have a plan and the knowledge to carry it out. I will be interested to see the more of the progress
and upgrades.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Andrew - You're going to find that not everyone is against what you're doing. It's just that those who are choose to be the most vocal. They simply don't understand the time and talent and skill it requires to pull off what you're doing. And that's not even beginning to discuss the performance and drive-ability potential that is on tap with that package.

SPK

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
(How many 32 Fords have a Chevrolet small block? LOL) Answer. notta on the super appealing dueces.

I really like the 9" rear!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Andrew - You're going to find that not everyone is against what you're doing. It's just that those who are choose to be the most vocal. They simply don't understand the time and talent and skill it requires to pull off what you're doing. And that's not even beginning to discuss the performance and drive-ability potential that is on tap with that package.

SPK
Mark,

Thank you for that. I am in marketing and every marketer knows that happy customers tell about 3 of their friends, whereas unhappy customers tell about 9 of their friends. A classic example of this is when Dear Abby asked her audience to write in with their thought regarding parenthood. The overwhelming majority of responses were negative and attempted to dissuade the people from having kids. In marketing research we call this self select bias...but I digress...LOL

So yes, I realize that the majority of the people that post, might have not the most favorable opinion as to what I am doing.

I am here not only to share this project, but hopefully I can also learn from you all regarding all the nuances that make Cougars unique and special. For instance, I am struggling with wheel size (width and offset) right now. I also want a front disk brake solution that doesn't seem to exist, which is frustrating. I hope that people will chime in a help me out!

Andrew

·
Contributing Member
5,860 Posts
Nice. Always wanted to know how one would fit. Great bang-for-buck horsepower swap without having to change the basic suspension layout (and pay big bucks for engineering and DOT approval)

BY GTO sump - do you mean the Holden that was sold in the US as a GTO?

Was it the LS1 or LS3 version

Keep up the good work

BTW - I have found that 17 x 8 is the best all round wheel size, although some have gone as large as 17 x 10. Minimum backspace should be 4.75" on an 8" wheel. I'm running 235/45 17" tyres

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice. Always wanted to know how one would fit. Great bang-for-buck horsepower swap without having to change the basic suspension layout (and pay big bucks for engineering and DOT approval)

BY GTO sump - do you mean the Holden that was sold in the US as a GTO?

Was it the LS1 or LS3 version

Keep up the good work

BTW - I have found that 17 x 8 is the best all round wheel size, although some have gone as large as 17 x 10. Minimum backspace should be 4.75" on an 8" wheel. I'm running 235/45 17" tyres
Leon,

You are correct, I am talking about the "new" GTO, which was a rebadged and uglier Holden. It was available in 2004 with a LS1 5.7L engine and in 2005-2006 with the LS2 6.0L engine. The Holden chassis uses a front sump pan that you see in the pictures.

Thank you for the wheel size suggestion, however I want to stay with an old school look for this car. Not that I am opposed to large diameter wheels. I have 18s on my 1970 GTO, but large wheels won't really fit the style of this build.

I have a line on some old "turbine" style wheels (think Dukes of Hazzard) that are 15x8 with 4 inches of backspacing. I suspect this isn't enough in order to fit the biggest tire that I can on the rear. I'd like to run a 275/60-15 in the rear if that is possible.

Anyone's input is welcome and very much appreciated.

Andrew

·
Contributing Member
5,860 Posts
I have 15 x 8 with 4.75" backspacing on the 68 and they rub on full lock

We always wondered why GM US picked up the base level Monaro when it was at the end of its model cycle. It was only designed for 14,000 units total in our local market, so every US sale was profit. When it was exported to other markets it had the more aggressive body kit on it. We got it with a number of engine options as well as with all wheel drive

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have 15 x 8 with 4.75" backspacing on the 68 and they rub on full lock

We always wondered why GM US picked up the base level Monaro when it was at the end of its model cycle. It was only designed for 14,000 units total in our local market, so every US sale was profit. When it was exported to other markets it had the more aggressive body kit on it. We got it with a number of engine options as well as with all wheel drive
Thanks for the input Leon...I am more concerned about rear tire fitment. I saw in the database that there is someone running a 275/60-15 on a 15x8 4"BS wheel in the rear on a 68, but I don't know if 68s and 67s are the same as far as wheelwell space...Any thoughts?

The new Pontiac GTO was a total cluster f**k. It was never appreciated by classic Pontiac GTO fans and it certainly didn't bring in new customers. I think as you said, it was a car thought up by bean counters that wanted to make extra money off a dying platform. I personally don't hate it, but it never caught my imagination. I much prefer my 1970 GTO:

Andrew

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I don't know if 68s and 67s are the same as far as wheelwell space...Any thoughts?

Andrew
67 and 68 would be the same size. However one thing that might have an effect on your build, if I am recalling correctly, is that you have a 9" rear. Most likely this rear was transplanted into your car as only the big block 67 and 68 Cougars left the factory with a 9". If it is a transplant then it may not be the exact same width as the original 67-8 rear axle which could have an effect on how the wheel fits.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
67 and 68 would be the same size. However one thing that might have an effect on your build, if I am recalling correctly, is that you have a 9" rear. Most likely this rear was transplanted into your car as only the big block 67 and 68 Cougars left the factory with a 9". If it is a transplant then it may not be the exact same width as the original 67-8 rear axle which could have an effect on how the wheel fits.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
Good point Randy, thank you.

Sounds like I better hold off and measure carefully before jumping on any wheel deals, even if they sound good...LOL

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Leon,

You are correct, I am talking about the "new" GTO, which was a rebadged and uglier Holden. It was available in 2004 with a LS1 5.7L engine and in 2005-2006 with the LS2 6.0L engine. The Holden chassis uses a front sump pan that you see in the pictures.

Thank you for the wheel size suggestion, however I want to stay with an old school look for this car. Not that I am opposed to large diameter wheels. I have 18s on my 1970 GTO, but large wheels won't really fit the style of this build.

I have a line on some old "turbine" style wheels (think Dukes of Hazzard) that are 15x8 with 4 inches of backspacing. I suspect this isn't enough in order to fit the biggest tire that I can on the rear. I'd like to run a 275/60-15 in the rear if that is possible.

Anyone's input is welcome and very much appreciated.

Andrew
Andrew, I had a guy come by my place a few weeks back checking on parts. He had a set to wheels like you are looking for and said thay are new wheels.(on a 69 Ford Galixie painted to look like General Lee from Dukes of Hazzard) I'll see if I contact him for info on where he got them.

·
Registered
903 Posts
anyone besides me see the towers that probably already have cracks caving in ? not to mention no tourqe box on passenger side . not my car but still dont think its right and the lack of clearance like steering box could become an issue when the engine rocks under acceleration but maybe the mounts will keep it from doing that to think you could of put a coyotee in instead is just kinda sad . have no use for any chevy engines but i guess that just me , ill give a b for creativity and effort
The shock towers dont have a chance with this set up. The passenger side especially is going to shatter. That engine is going to vibrate on and off the tower to no end. Plus I don't think the offset to the pax side is doing the car any favors.....

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The shock towers dont have a chance with this set up. The passenger side especially is going to shatter. That engine is going to vibrate on and off the tower to no end. Plus I don't think the offset to the pax side is doing the car any favors.....
We all have our opinions...just like we all have certain anatomical features...There is plenty of room between the shock towers for the engine to move around. The only potential contact point is between the manifold and the steering box. If that makes contact, the manifold flange can be ground to gain some extra clearance.

As for engine offset, this was done on many cars (second gen f-bodies, first gen f-bodies with big blocks) without any ill effect.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
"The theme (or the philosophy of use) of this car is that it that of an Old Skool street/strip car. Think of it as a throw back to the late 1980s to early 1990s "street machine."

If that is what you are looking to achieve with the build. You should have kept the Boss 302 and related parts. If you are building a reliable daily driver to cruise in and keep the hood shut. Then your on the right track. The 5.3L is no power house, so what you are getting in the end is just a reliable cruiser with updated technology. Not a street/strip car. Heck, I have a new 2011 Chevy 6.2L L-94 create engine sitting in the garage I don't know what to do with. Would make for a nice power plant into an old Camaro.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
"The theme (or the philosophy of use) of this car is that it that of an Old Skool street/strip car. Think of it as a throw back to the late 1980s to early 1990s "street machine."

If that is what you are looking to achieve with the build. You should have kept the Boss 302 and related parts. If you are building a reliable daily driver to cruise in and keep the hood shut. Then your on the right track. The 5.3L is no power house, so what you are getting in the end is just a reliable cruiser with updated technology. Not a street/strip car. Heck, I have a new 2011 Chevy 6.2L L-94 create engine sitting in the garage I don't know what to do with. Would make for a nice power plant into an old Camaro.
Want to sell that L94?

Andrew

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So I had a chance to have a little time with my Cougar today. I took a few pictures of the rear suspension and I would love to know what some of the Cougar experts see. I am not at all familiar with this chassis, so I don't know what is "stock" and what has been altered.

There are some older looking traction bars on the car. They look similar to CalTrak bars, but obviously they aren't. Does anyone have any idea as to their origins? I also see a booster spring on the driver's side...

Also, can anyone confirm that this is a 9" rear? LOL

Andrew

21 - 40 of 927 Posts