Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Please tell us more, Looks like some cool parts were used on it. Is it yours?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Oil Cooler mount is nicely done.... everything else...
Not so much? :buck:

Looks like a desert rat, kind of dusty-grimey. Salt flats?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I should have some update shots of my 67 project this Spring. My own take on a 67 eliminator ;)

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This car was customized in the early 1970s. The Boss 302 engine was purchased new from a Ford dealership and the Shelby dual quad setup was added to it. It has a Mallory tach drive distributor and Hy-Fire coil. The car also has a BW Super T-10, and a 4.33 Detroit Locker in the 9" rear end.

It started life as a plain Jane Cougar with a 289 V2, 3spd, manual steering and manual 4 wheel drums, lime frost.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Andrew,

Hope I did not insult you or your car with my post. I was just noticing that it seemed kind of dusty and was wondering where it came from (and where you are, put your location in your profile, would 'ya?).

In any case, welcome. This is a great board and has a great membership as well.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Andrew,

Hope I did not insult you or your car with my post. I was just noticing that it seemed kind of dusty and was wondering where it came from (and where you are, put your location in your profile, would 'ya?).

In any case, welcome. This is a great board and has a great membership as well.

Regards,

Bob
Bob,

No offense taken. This forum seems very nice and I look forward to learning about these cars.

Some of the things about the car are definitely not up to my standards and will be changed, other things will remain. My purpose is to build a really fun, streetable, fast, street/strip kind of car. The goal will be to maintain the flavor of the period when this car was built, but update it with a modern tweak, here and there. The engine, intake and carbs, along with the drag pack oil cooler will be sold off. Those parts are better suited to be in a restored car.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
A low-rise dual quad intake for a Boss 302 has to be a rare duck these days now I would think ...

cheers
Ed N.
BUT, it's not a B302. It's a Windsor. WAIT. It is a B302, WTF!!?? Wow.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Very very very cool powertrain in that thing.

I really really like your car. A lot. A whole bunch.
A weekend spent doing some spit and polish and it looks like you'd pass tech at most tracks.

does it run? More info, man.

Oh, and welcome!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Yes! Welcome, and MORE PICTURES. And details, like the speedo and tach, those look good in there! And what are the other guages in the dash?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yes! Welcome, and MORE PICTURES. And details, like the speedo and tach, those look good in there! And what are the other guages in the dash?
Are they all Stewart/Warners? Cool!

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The engine is definitely a B302. It has screw in freeze plugs. As I said before, this car was built in the early 1970s with parts ordered straight from Shelby, Holman and Moody, and Ford racing. The gauges are all vintage Stewart Warner. The mechanical drive tach is really cool. I will be posting more pictures later as I document all the parts. I wish it had a toploader in it, but it has a BW Super T10.

Andrew

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Cool car! More pictures for sure. What are your plans for it? Going back to stock?

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Ignore the back to stock, I,m not awake yet. What are you planning to replace the B302 with? I guess what I was thinking was orignal but built. I allways thought a B302 would be a great canidate for a Paxton but wouldnt do it to a correct car.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Andrew, with all that good stuff, I'd have a hard time deciding what to change and what to leave. The B302 is very cool. You could probably sell it to someone doing concours for a mint. Or, if it were me, I'd have a hard time ignoring the urge to resto it right as it is equipped. As a period correct hot rod. If you are going more street oriented, changing it all out and selling stuff to finance the new stuff would be a good way to go I would think. B302's have a hard time on the street (IMO), they need revs due to the intake and exhaust ports being so mammoth for 302 cubes. A bone stock B302 might do alright, but even then I think they generally had very high axle ratio to work with it.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Boss 302 engine and other associated parts really belong on a restored Mustang or Eliminator Cougar. I've never been one to appreciate rare parts just for the sake of them being rare. The Boss 302 engine were excellent in their day but modern technology has made leaps and bounds in engine development since then. I see myself playing with this car for several years. The first version of this car will retain the vintage feel. There is a hole in the hood and I shall not let that go to waist. When was the last time you saw a street car with dual quads on a tunnel ram manifold, with velocity stacks? :)

Andrew

1 - 20 of 47 Posts