Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 68 tilt-a-way for my 67 and I was hoping to get some information about installing it other than the obvious, unbolting and replacing.

I.E.: wiring connections on the colum to my loom.

I have the vacuum situation under control as this unit was complete from John of Cascade Classics.

Thanks!

·
11,000 Posts
The pedal support bracket is different and must be changed at the same time. You need a '68 pedal support bracket and the u - bracket below the column for a '68. The '67 steering wheel won't fit and the turn signal wiring plug from the '67 must be used with the '68 switch.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that right about the steering wheel? Is it the splines? Because the 68 wheel fits my 67 column.

·
11,000 Posts
It's the plastic part that interferes with the top of the column. You might be able to modify it to fit if you want to.

One other thing, the brake pedal won't fit. The '68 column has the impact absorbing collapsible accordian looking part, that rubs on the brake pedal in a '67. The 68 brake pedal is offset to clear it.

·
11,000 Posts
Just thought of another potential problem. Early 1967 Cougars had a steering column with no rag joint, the shaft was permanently installed in the steering box. Late 1967 Cougars made after approximately December 15, 1966 have the same steering box as the 1968's and will accept your column. If you have the earlier car you have to change steering box and pitman arm too.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything else, Ha ha

I have a April Car so the rag joint/steering box will not be a problem, I also have a drum brake car I am converting to disc (67 too) I can modify the pedal assy. before I will mount for a final time.
The only thing I will need to modify the white plastic piece.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well It fits

The pedal assembly turned out to fit w/o modification, the steering wheel works w/o modificaion to the cancel cam.
The wiring was the major hurdle as the plug from the 67 had to be used fortunately out of the 10 wires only one was a different color and it was easy to figure out which one it replaced. The pins on 68 wires are bigger and do not fit into the 67 plug so the wires must be taken from the 67 column and soldered to the 68 wiring.
The 67 steering wheel shoulder is a bit smaller diameter than the 68 column and a spacer has to be created so you do not see the innards of the column thru the gap.
To make a long story short w/ a little bit of planning and research and a lot of patience it will work.
Pic here

·
11,000 Posts
Looks nice Garey!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts