Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 67 that has the 390 and my driver side shock tower has collapsed in some & inner fenders are in dire need of replacement. towers have some cracks but i have choose to drill holes at the end of cracks, bevel & weld, then weld on the shock tower repair/reinforcement kit. i have all new inner fenders & radiator support w/ crossmember. my problem is i purchased the export brace & on th 67 the pass. side looks good in & out & the factory brace will bolt up but the tower needs to come foward 1/2 inch approx. for the export brace to fit, the drivers side factory brace wont bolt up & shock tower needs to come about 1 inch forward & out about 1 1/2 out. now i know sometimes these take some finness to get on i read about jacking car up so engine weight would pull tower caps forward. my engine is of course out. when i set the brace on my 70 side to side looks good but the shock tower brace bolts need to go about 1/2 inch forward. when i set it on my 69 convt. the damn thing bolts on no problem w/out engine in. my plan is to remove raditor support w/crossmember & all inner fenders than bolt brace on pass. side and put hydraulic jack between towers and push drivers side out, then place blocks of wood on firewall and try to move both forward. i am planning to use 69 convt. for any measurements i may need since it bolts to it. the braces are listed for 67--70 does anyone see anything wrong doing this way? anybody done this and have any advice what to do or what order to do it, or any thing not to do. any preveace experince, advice before i start wacking on my car would be appreciated. i have already removed cowl put in patch panels & replaced the lovely overspotweled cowl. replaced complete roof. (some idiot did one bad job of putting one crappy looking sunroof in the original roof what kind of person does that to a 390g.t) have replaced driverside full floor & tourque box. still need to do passenger side full floor & torque box that ford deemed wasnt neccasary in the 67 with a big block, still havent wrapped my mind around that. also if anyone has pushed there towers forward how did you do it? im concerned about the thin firewall caving in even with a block of wood between jack and firewall to spread the pressure area out some.
thanks
curtis

·
Registered
913 Posts
I know this is not what you want to hear, but you really need to take to frame shop, pushing from tower to tower, no problem but pushing from firewall to tower, the firewall will give first. If you can tie the car down to something then use a come-along and pull on the towers, that would work best.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+1 on the frameshop - this is something that requires the right tool for the job.......it's one of those things where a pull or a push here/there moves yet one other aspect out too......there may be other things that come to light as it's worked and you really need to know that you are making the best choice for the longevity of the beast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts