Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before we painted my cat, we had to take the turn signal assemblies out and while we took them out, we decided to take the turn signal lights out too..well hahaha the signal bulbs themselves are original from 1967 and have never been taken out, so they were rusted in there..we finally got them out and now ned new ones..every parts store says that the bulbs are part number 1157NA or 1157ALL i got 1157ALL which they replace the 1157NA and they do not fit...they have a shallow and deep groove on each side of the metal casing, but they feel like they are too long to put in the assembly...they dont seem to go all the way down in there and turn and lock like theyre supposed to...whats the deal? are those parts guys full of bs? it shows that it is the correct part number on their computers.. nothing is rusted in either assembly...i cleaned everything and used grease as well to lube it, but nothing did any good...whats the deal?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
1157's only go in the socket one way,if it doesn't fit one way, turn it around and try again. If the sockets are rusty, you may have trouble inserting the bulbs. Be very careful you dont break the bulb inserting it...

Bruce

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the old days,( I'm really datiing myself here) When I worked at an auto parts store, the 1157a bulbs were available as painted or amber glass, (more expensive). Now they probably don't give you that option.

Tim

·
11,000 Posts
The a in 1157a means amber painted. They still sell plain 1157's at all the part stores I go to.

Dirtrider, the rubber sleeve on the back of the light assembly was soft and pliable when it was new. By now it is probably hard as a rock. The rubber sleeve is supposed to "give" as you push the bulb in past the locking pins. When th rubber gets old and hard you can't push the bulb in far enough.

What I have done is cut a slit in the rubber sleeve, put the bulb in and then seal the slit with silicone RTV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts