Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have as much info on my 67 base cougar as I am going to find for now. I need to try to narrow it down to a dealer. My Grandfather lived in Mountain View and worked in San Jose. Does anyone know what Mercury dealers were in business at that time? I have been told it was unlikely that a Ford dealer would have sold the car. It could have been purchased in Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, or San Jose.

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Or Lago LM in Los Gatos. But Lago became McHugh. Later McHugh closed down and now it's a vacant lot. There was a big one, Joe Kerley LM (or Ford LM?) was on Stevens Creek BLVD in San Jose. But they aree closed too.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Contact Kevin Marti, he can tell you exactly where it was sold. http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm
If I understand the OP's previous posts correctly, he doesn't have the car, or a VIN to provide Kevin Marti. He's just trying to reconstruct as many details as he can about a Cougar that was bought new by his grandfather.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
My '70 XR7 came from Lago in Los Gatos........I still have the license plate frame!
My 70 standard came from Lago. One day around 1986 I saw another 70 in Campbell (near Los Gatos). I parked next to it to check it out. It too had the Lago frame. I was surprised to see that it was one VIN # away from mine. I don't remember it if was the number before or after. Mine was 0F91H570075.
I'd like to know more about your XR7. Color, options, engine etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
B777XR : I would guess that you are not interested in selling the LAGO frame...by chance would you know anyone that would have one they would bewilling to sell. This is for my wife’s 1970 XR-7 Triple blue: (Medium blue, w/blue leather inter and blue vinyl top).

·
Registered
22 Posts
My XR7 was originally white with the houndstooth vinyl top, 351C-2V, FMX, 3.00 9". PS, A/C, Power front discs. Now it's still white(for now) and the vinyl top is long gone. Under hood is now a 393C/525HP, wide ratio toploader & 3.89 DL.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
My XR7 was originally white with the houndstooth vinyl top, 351C-2V, FMX, 3.00 9". PS, A/C, Power front discs. Now it's still white(for now) and the vinyl top is long gone. Under hood is now a 393C/525HP, wide ratio toploader & 3.89 DL.
Mine was white but no vinyl top. Red interior comfort weave, 351 C, PS, A/C, front discs

·
Registered
321 Posts
Pretty sure there was dealerships in San Fran and Santa Cruz at the time. I think San Fran was Towne? Santa Cruz is North Bay now, don't know about then. Fremont Ford Lincoln Mercury was on Fremont Blvd and Thorton Ave for years, right across the street from each other. Serramonte Ford was in the South Bay for ever. Hope this helps...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts