Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I used to have an account with mc.net with the user name Cougaradic (which is still on the server with the pictures of the car). Unfortunately, i forgot which email i registered with so i made a new one.

The point of my thread is in regards to me finding out how to obtain a new roof for my 67 cougar. I had plans to restore the car, but now i am wanting to sell it.

Numerous buyers have come to look at the car and are impressed by it being in immaculate condition. Everything is flawless when it comes to trim, windows, interior, floor panels being rust free, and the entire body being rust free....except the roof.

It has a vinyl top which is covering a lot of rust underneath. Everyone that has looked at the car says they would have to chop off the top and get a new one to repair it-- and that it would nearly be impossible to do.

So, i'm looking to see if anyone might have some information on doing this. What are the options? Would i have to find another cougar to chop the top off of or is there another route to take?

The best offer i have received is 1500 for it. They said if the roof wasn't bad they would give me the 4k I'm asking.

I just need some guidance. I'm wondering if i should take the 1500 or if i should sell the parts on the car. I've heard that the window trims and other parts/accessories of the car might put more in my wallet than selling the whole thing for 1500.

Any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-David

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have a really nice roof if you are close enough to Va/De/Md. It's already cut off and includes the front cowl and rear tray, plenty of metal to work with where you want to cut and weld it in. Will sell it cheap.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
We used to scrap a car for a bad rood but not anymore, Cougars are to valuable for that. Dynacorn will be offering a roof skin in the future and used roofs are not too hard to obtain for under $400. The GEARZ car needed a new roof but that did not stop Stacey from stepping up and paying $4000 for a tired project car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have replaced several roofs. My last roof was on my 1991 picup truck. A roof is not structural (the skin that is). On the older cars you have to melt away the lead. If you don't have torches you can use a propane torch. Once that is done you drill out all the spot welds. There are two different cutters. I prefer the non hole saw version. Once the spot welds are cut you use a sharp chizel and remove the old roof. The new roof is easyier. Most people when they sell you the roof they cut all the pillars. So with that roof you can drill straight through all the spot welds. I start with a 1/8 drill bit and work up to 3/8. You then CAREFULLY remove it. You need two people to lift it off. DO NOT ATTEMPT to lift it yourself. They have no stability and can bend in the middle. When I did mytruck I used 3M's new panel adhesive. Ths stuff is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No welding no grinding and it is recomended for roofs without welding by 3M! You must hammer and dolly all your spot weld holes and make sure the car has all the spot welds sharp edges ground down. You coat both sides with the adhesive and replace the roof. It is always a good idea to do a dry fit. When you glue it on you need a ton of clamps. I used a little wax paper to keep the glue off the clapms. Email me if you have further questions
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I need to reskin the roof on my 69 when I get home, and am hoping to get it done for under 1000 dollars...I have a new skin for it already though..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts