Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my way to work the other day third gear just stops working wont fully engage and just slips. After work i barely make it home as 2nd and first go as well. So, i plan on rebuilding the trans as a learning process but, in the mean time I got a killer deal on a 1966 c4. My question is can i just bolt this in and go or do i need to swap the valve body from the 68 inorder for it to work right. Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can just bolt it in but it will have green dot valve body in it. Regular drive is actually where manual 2nd is on your shifter. It will have a 1-2-3 shift pattern in this shifter position. In your Cougars normal drive position it will have 2nd then shift to third only......so if you can deal with that run it. The valve bodies are interchangeable between the 66-earlier C-4s and the 67-69s...I will say that alot of earlier units have already been changed to the later valve body- to check just look for a c7 part # on the lower valve body.... hope this helps, Dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
So, on my way to work the other day third gear just stops working wont fully engage and just slips. After work i barely make it home as 2nd and first go as well. So, i plan on rebuilding the trans as a learning process but, in the mean time I got a killer deal on a 1966 c4. My question is can i just bolt this in and go or do i need to swap the valve body from the 68 inorder for it to work right. Thanks
I built the C4 in my 68 it's a lot better that 64-66 (Intermediate Band is much better fits the contour of the drum-bigger input shaft) It's a flex band.
bigger servo,If I recall the whole gear train is bigger.
You could swap if you need the car,but by all means build your 68 and then replace with it.
And do use dexron instead of type "F".much better shift qualities. Type "F' will oxidize &
cause sludge (varnish).
Ford dealer I work at put dexron /mercon in all ford's Transmission. Higher coefficient of friction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts