Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found what i think is a 9inch rear end in the pick a part today but I can't remember the identifying difference is between the 8inchand the 9inch rear ends.

I was told that if you can get to the bottom bolts of the third member with a socket, its and 8 inch, and if you need to use a wrench its a 9inch. Is that true?

the tag reads 00 8 403 from what i could see (it was really gummed up with crud)

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
It will be a 9 inch or a 9 3/8 unit. I'm leaning to a 9 inch. Should not be a 8 inch bhind a big block from the factory.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm...im leaning towards 9 inch too...it has all the tell tale identifying points....the dimples with the drain plug, the huge drums, and the lower bolt access...

·
Registered
913 Posts
I found what i think is a 9inch rear end in the pick a part today but I can't remember the identifying difference is between the 8inchand the 9inch rear ends.

I was told that if you can get to the bottom bolts of the third member with a socket, its and 8 inch, and if you need to use a wrench its a 9inch. Is that true?

the tag reads 00 8 403 from what i could see (it was really gummed up with crud)
That is true about the socket and wrench thingy.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Most of what you might want to know about identifing a Ford 9 inch can be found here;

9 Inch data

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My brother and I snatched it out today, it was fun! Man that thing is WAY HEAVIER than my 8 inch. No chance of me lifting it alone. The only reason why it was still there was because one of the lug nuts was stripped. Nothing a 3 pound sledge and a smaller socket couldn't handle. Then we spent the next 20 minutes arguing with the clerk about the rear ends origin (he thought came out of a truck, thus trying charging me more money) Those darn drums are so huge, it seems like no wheels can even fit over those things. I'm probably going to be doing the disc brake conversion though. I'm probably going to get my trac loc and gears from Ringpinion.com

Should I have got the driveshaft too? Its still there if need be.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
WOW, the person/persons that put that report together covering the, (9 inch data), worked their fannies off, and did what appears to be a nice job. I learned a few things along the way too.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I'd take the drive shaft & the shock plates. But before I took anything, I'd measure the width & compare it to the '67 rear. I'm sure you did that. My guess is the t-bird is wider, but you might could get by w/a deep offset wheel? Let us know what the measurements are, eh?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'd take the drive shaft & the shock plates. But before I took anything, I'd measure the width & compare it to the '67 rear. I'm sure you did that. My guess is the t-bird is wider, but you might could get by w/a deep offset wheel? Let us know what the measurements are, eh?
Just what I was thinking, the rear is probably wider than Cougar uses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts