Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the pic a part today and saw a 1960 Thunderbird with the original engine still in it. I heard that those engines are 300 hp (2 barrel)- 360hp (4 barrel) 352 FE

Now if I'm correct this engine is a gem and I'm going to get it tomorrow!!
It's 4 barrel, and its a 1960, the year that ford came out with the high performance version of the 352, so is anyone familiar with the codes on this block to tell if its the Interceptor V-8 352.

My second question is what transmissions work with that block?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
ahh - I think you aren't going to like the bolt pattern on the trans is different - you would have to get an adaptor plate or go old school i think.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I don't know the block codes, but the High Performance version of the 352 came with an aluminum intake and header style exhaust manifolds, so its pretty easy to tell from a standard 352 4V. (Which didn't come with anything "special" as far as heads or internal components, to the best of my knowledge.) I'm pretty sure the bellhousing pattern is standard "FE" so any transmission that works with a 390, 427 or 428 should fit the 352.
I imagine the carb and engine brackets/pulleys/accessories would be worth something to Thunderbird restorers.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
352 and early 390 hipo motors have a great cylinder head---real small peanut shaped combustion chamber with medium riser port sizes---my favorite iron cyl head
doctordesoto

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah It's not the high performance version but it is the 4 barrel, its 300hp out the factory, and Speedway sells the bellhousing that will bolt a modern t-5 up to the 352. It's about $400 bucks but it sounds like a fun challenge to me. I'm sure some long tube headers, an edelbrock intake, cam and a good carb will make it a screamer. They wont sell me the whole car once it hits the yard, I would have loved to catch the guy who sold it before it got to the yard. They sell rebuild kits on ebay for $130...I think it may be doable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts