Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had 265/60/14's on the back of a car, and 195 14's in the front, what would it do to a] the handling and b] braking and c] fuel consumption?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
wont like to turn.. wont like to stop ... and wont pass a gas station lol well milage shouldnt suffer that much, but the other stuff goes

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My handling (turning at least) got better when I went back to 205/70/14s from 215/60/14 front and 245/60/14 rear. Turning was much more crisp. (I didn't have a chance - thankfully - to do a panic-braking comparison...)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked the profiles, the ones in front are 195/65/14's and the back 265/50/14's, they are damn scary, I did have to do a panic brake, some idiot pulled out right in front of me just as I was showing my Dad a bit of 'lead foot', I had to brake suddenly and the whole car pulled to the left, then tried to correct it and she did a couple of mad swerves all over the place. Bearing in mind that there is a lot of play on the steering wheel, I can virtually turn it 30 degrees either way before the tyres even start to turn. Could it be the tyres that are causing the play on the steering wheel, or somwthing else?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
On wvcat I'm running 195/60/15's and 275/06/15's and have been for years. I would say that it doesn't handle quite as well but I have never had any problems with braking or play in the steering. MPG is a whole other issue :) I like the way my car looks with this combo and I'm not a canyon carver so the handling is not a big issue. I think most of your problems in the play in your steering. I can tell you that you probably need an idler arm, a steering box adjustment, and maybe a couple of tie rod ends without even seeing the car.
Good luck
John

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MPG was'nt much of an issue with one, but now with 2????, what the hell, its cheaper than the movies. Biggest problem I've got with the front ones is that they look so small, they are not in line with the fender, more like 1/2 a foot in, does not look nicely in proportion. Also different brands, BFG's in the back, Silverstones in the front, nevr heard of them. Maybe I should go for a wider rim in front, the currect one is about 1/2 the size of the rear one, they match [pattern wise]. Next stop, after the autolec tomorrow will be the wheel guy, will check out the tie rods etc. Steering wheel is awful, need a nice new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts