Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried 17s on a 67-69? I have found a set of 17x7s with a 4" backspacing (correct for a cougar if I am not mistaken). With 225/50s on the front will I have a problem with rub? I know the back can handle a larger tire but would like to keep same size all the way around. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
to be honest, im not sure about the wheels that you have right now, but ill tell you what i know that might help. There is a guy here in California who has a little Mustang parts busines. He will convert the early Stangs and Cougars to accept the new Bullit style and late model OEM wheels. They are 17 x 8 with some funky offset. They will fit BUT you have to change some other things as well. From what he told me you need longer wheelstuds, a wheel spacer, and he also said that the wheel lipswould have to be rolled for them to clear. given, most of this is probably due to the strange offset of the newer cars then anything, but i would imagine that the lips would have to be rolled in your case as well. Im sure with the right offsetyou can forgoe the other measures.

By the way, i have seen these wheels on a few early Mustangs, but no Cougars yet. anyone got a pic? they looke nice on the Stangs and the Cougar is so much nicer to stat with, it probably looks twice as good. but all that aside im seriously thinking about this for the Mach 1s street tires. they need something big in back to fill up those wheel wells. i think these might work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE

I went to the American Racing site, and they said 4" offset was correct for a 69 Cougar. I have 215/60/14s on the front and have room for more. If anyone knows of a chart that shows the outside diameter of a tire in relation to a 60 series 14 to a 50 series 16 and so on I would be very greatful if you could send it my way. Thanks in advance.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
There is an article in the archives of TCCN with a white restomod convertible (think it is a 69) with what looks like 17" Torque Thrust IIs. (Sorry I don't know which month but it is also on the latest screen saver)

We have 67 Mustang locally with 17 x 8 TT IIs and they fit without modifying fenders.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Logan,

Does that go for 67 too, or just 69?

I thought I read something that said you have to modify the A arm to run a 17" wheel on a 67 w/ full travel....... I guess thats not correct from what Leon said.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Has anyone run 16 or 17 x 8" on the fronts? I would like to run some 235/50's and wonder about the correct backspacing for this setup.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks. I noticed one company was selling some Cobra R 16" wheels at a good price. the backspacing is 4.59" so it sounds like they will work pretty well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know I'm a buffoon already, but between what two points are we measuring the "offset" dimension from. I've got some old ET "centerline" style rims, 14", that I'm putting some TA's on, and can see I've got problems already on the rears. Only a 7 3/4" rim but must have big "offset", because the wheel alone sticks out past the wheel opening in the back. Sorry for the additional can of worms.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Wheels

Since I've been thinking about upgrading Alpha Cat's wheels anyway, I've been looking into this issue.

I've been looking at some of the wheels for sale on E-bay and trying to figure what would look good on a classic Cat. Don't hate me, but I think the wheels should retain a 'period look' of what was available when the car was in its heyday. That's why the 'Bullit Mustang' wheels look so good. They took the old American Racing Torque Thrust from the 60s and updated them to either the 16 or 17" size and you've got a winner. For my Alpha Cat, I think it just looks right with the aluminum slots. Too bad they're 14x7s with G-60-14 bias belted tires. Now if I can only find them in 16"!

OK, so what sort of 16" wheels are out there that have the least bit of classic styling? The 'classic syling' that I desire is a deep dish look. I have a 96 Crown Vic with the 'sport handling package' that has deep dish aluminum wheels. They are 16x7" with a 4-1/4" backspacing. I'm gonna have to bolt them up to the Cougar to see how they look. With a set of 235or245/60/16s they might just have the right look!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
if you do do that, take pics, i like the period look too. thats why i have steelies with dog dish caps. if i could find some aluminum 16 Steelies, id paint em black and put the dog dishes on em. i like the look

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cougrrcj - AR makes the TT2's in any offset you want from their custom shop. theya re pricey though. Vintage Wheels can make any steelie in 16 you want.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The current trend is towards larger and larger diameter rims: how big is big enough? What are the advantages of a 16" rim over a 14" rim? I, too like the period styling, that's why it's my personal preference to stay with the old 14" ET's that have been on the car for 20 years. I'm just curious why the trend towards larger diameters. I know that tire availability in the 14" diameters is getting poorer. Is there less sidewall roll and enhanced cornering with the taller wheel and relatively shorter sidewall??

Ron.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ronzoni,

EXACTLY!

That is precisely the reasoning for upping the wheel size. Less sidewall generally means less sidewall deflection on cornering.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmmm, the Cougar only has 14 in rims, and as far as an upgrade, maybe 15s are in the future. but once again they will just be black steelies, or maybe an aluminum wheel painted black. if i can find a "steelie" looking one. it will keep the dog dish caps though, i like them too much now. As for the Mach1 ( which has been delayed for about 3 months or so now D'OH!) i want to get some of the new Mustang GT wheels ( the 16 inch ones, they are cheaper and i think they still look nice ) i plan to paint them black and slap em on there. the main reson for that is because i want something to fill up the wheelwells on that car. they never look right to me with a 14 in rim on there. even 15s look puny in that massive space. i was one with 17s and it looked good, but i dont usually like rims that big on an old car ( i know an Olds 442 that has 18 inch IROCS though, it suits the car well ) as far as 20 inch rims?? on an old vehicle?? eeeeewwwwwww. that just looks wrong. even for my strange tastes in cars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts