Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there some 17" steel wheels I can get while I'm building? I didn't want to buy my "final" wheels and just have the them sit... Thanks for the info and ideas...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Are the 17" wheels needed to clear big brakes? If not, use a 'normal' size. FWIW, '98-2002 Crown Vic/Marquis came from the factory with 16" wheels to clear their bigger front brakes. Same bolt pattern and neutral offset that our Cats take. Lots of those year Crown Vics/Marquis in the junkyards... Or you can use Ranger/Explorer.

As for 17" steelies, that's '03-up Crown Vic police car wheels, but they have a huge 45mm offset.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Look for some crappy 94-95 Mustang GT "tri-bar" 17" wheels. Almost nobody in the Mustang community wants those, so they can be picked up for maybe $200 for a set, and they will clear 13" Cobra brakes ... depending on what calipers you are using, they may work for you. 17 x 8", +30 offset like the other 8" SN95 wheels:

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
2010-1011 Fusion SEs use steel 17" wheels (and really UGLY plastic covers)( and they have the 5-on 4 1/2" bolt pattern), although for a Cougar you might need a spacer.....

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Yup, the Fusions have high offset wheels, spacers would definitely be required. In that case you may as well start with the 07-up Crown Vic 17" wheels, at least they are designed for a vehicle that is over 3,500 lbs.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Later Crown Vic wheels have a high offset too.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Yup, that is correct. The point that I was trying to make was that if you're going to have to use spacers anyway, you may as well start with wheels that are made for a heavier car than the Fusion.

cheers
Ed N.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts