Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this group, but I have had my cougar since 16 (I am now 23). I finally got a real job and have some (not a lot) of $$ to put into the car.

I found some 17" chrome rims (Just like Amercan Racing Torque Thrust II). I plan on using 245/40/17 on them.

I want to upgrade my suspension:

Does anyone have recomendations for a new bushing kit that covers most of the front suspension.

Does anyone recommend new front springs that lower the car approx. 1"

Does anyone recommend rear springs that would give me a level ride height.

I do NOT want the back of my cat to be stuck in the air, so I am asking anyone who has made these changes and the have a level ride height.

Thanks for all the help guys.... and girls...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Hey, you can go to Mustangsplus.com. They have various kits for rebuilding your suspension front to back. Everything from polyurethane bushings to front springs. As well as 5 leaf, reversed eye rear springs, sway bars etc...

Rick J

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have done exactly what you want to do. I have the 17 inch Americans on my 68 standard and redid the suspension a couple of summers ago with new, control arms, sway bars, springs, shocks etc...up front and new springs and shocks in the back. I got the stuff for the front from mustangs unlimited and the rear springs from a place in Calgary, but I think they deal with Mustangs Unlimited. As for the $$$. I am just finishing up University and also live in Canada (exchange is lousy) so you should be able to handle the cost. Hope that helps. By the way I went with heavy duty springs and my car now sits with a bit of rake towards the front. It has probably got the same look you are after.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Turtle can you post a pic of your car with the wheels and the new ride height. I have a 67 STD that I just finished putting Polygraphite front end under from PST and I am now starting the back half and I also want a level car. Instead of lowered springs in the front I did the Shelby suspension change (lowering the upper arms) I also added a 1" front sway bar and plan to add a 3/4" rear one as well. But I would like to see some more cats like this first before I make a wheel decision... Thanks,,
Scott

·
Registered
278 Posts
I should probably take some pics of my car and post them as I have gotten some requests. Right now it is -30 here so it will be a couple of weeks. THanks for the patience. If you really want to see these rims suspension etc. go to the photo gallery under 67 cougars and look for Republik A.D.'s car I think that will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts