Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya folks! I found lots of different links regarding tire and wheel sizes, but I haven't found anything for this specific set of wheels I am considering. Does anyone know if 17x8 inch wheels with 4.5" backspacing will fit under my 1970 Cougar? I'm pretty confident about the rear, but I question the front. I saw a different post that showed 17x8 with 4.75" backspacing working on the front - anyone have 17X8 rims on a 69 or 70 cougar with 4.5" backspacing?

I can also get a set of 18x9's for the back with 5" backspacing. I've seen these work with 5.5" backspacing on other threads, I wonder if the .5" will make an insurmountable difference.

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I put 17x8 with 4 1/2 BS and 225/45R17 tires on last week, No problems, tons of room going to 245's next time

I put 17x9 rears w/ 4 1/2 BS and 245/50R17 No problems, tons of room (going to 255 or 275's next time

lunapic_130715339520705_1.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it. I found that link, thats the one that list 17X8 with 4.75" backspacing working. Gonna bite the bullet and try it, Trickcat is making me feel better about it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you are looking for wheels, let me know.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I spent a lot of time measuring and calculating with an Excel spreadsheet I made. I used 17 x 9 in the rear with 5.25" backspacing. Get this really right and you can run fatter tires than anyone else is getting away with. I have 285/40-17 Nitto N555's on the 17 x 9's and have no rubbing whatsoever.

The front however, is a little tougher. I have 17 x 8, 4.5" backspacing with 245/45-17 Nitto N555's on them. I have to be very careful how I set the caster to avoid rubbing the wheel well opening bottom at the front when the wheel is turned in. I get minor rubbing when taking off with the wheels turned hard, haven't figured out where this is happening yet. I was just a tad too aggressive on the front tire size, but that's just me being the ECI.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
271 Posts
I spent a lot of time measuring and calculating with an Excel spreadsheet I made. I used 17 x 9 in the rear with 5.25" backspacing. Get this really right and you can run fatter tires than anyone else is getting away with. I have 285/40-17 Nitto N555's on the 17 x 9's and have no rubbing whatsoever.

The front however, is a little tougher. I have 17 x 8, 4.5" backspacing with 245/45-17 Nitto N555's on them. I have to be very careful how I set the caster to avoid rubbing the wheel well opening bottom at the front when the wheel is turned in. I get minor rubbing when taking off with the wheels turned hard, haven't figured out where this is happening yet. I was just a tad too aggressive on the front tire size, but that's just me being the ECI.

Regards,

Bob
Hey Bob
Do you have pics of the rear tires ( from the rear)?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Absolutely.

This one is kind of dark, will post an earlier one too.

It is pretty much the fattest tire you can get under the stock wheel wells.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the replies. I was thinking 235/45 tires up front and 255/45 tires out back. Currently I have 235's up front with no rubbing issues, but its on a 7" rim. If I have to, I figure I can push the wheel out .25" with a spacer and roll the fender lip. Hopefully, all goes smoothly and it'll bolt right on. We'll find out in one week when the wheels arrive.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i am running a 17x8 vintage wheel works v40 with a 4.5 backspace, 0 offset . i have 245/40 17 on the front and 245/45/17 on the rear , no issues, HOWEVER my car has not seen the road with them on. lock to lock, i have had no rub issues . also after lots of research you will quickly find that 17 is currently the most popular size for cost factor and different size availbilty as well

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bob, those tires look GREAT back there! I have been struggling with the same issue. My car is currently sporting a set of 29.5x10.5" slicks on 15" wheels. They are huge, and fit great, but I bet if I took a hard turn they would grind all over the wheel wells. I absolutely want a tall wide tire that completely fills the wheel well. I've been struggling with 17" wheels because I couldn't find a tall enough tire. Never saw the 285/40-17 option when I was on the Nitto site. On my way to check it out now.

Mike...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update - I installed 17x8, 4.5" backspacking all the way around. 235/45/17 up front, 245/45/17 in the rear. No rubbing, no issues. Happy camper!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Looks great! What color is that?? Got a pic from behind?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The color is a deep metallic blue my brother whipped up custom. He's in the body/paint industry and mixed his own paint when he painted the car 13 years ago. Looks great, but its gonna be about impossible to match if I ever have any work done. Luckily he made up an extra quart of paint that I've been dragging around forever and have used to touch up the occasional rock chip and scratch here and there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts