Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I found a deal on a set of 95 cobra rims. These are 17x8 w/ 255/45-17 Goodyear GSC tires. I know there is no way that these are going to fit on the front w/ those tires but what about the back. Will I need a spacer to move them out? I'm not sure of the backspacing on these. If anyone knows then let me know.

Thanks
Austin

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i think the backspacing is like 5.5 inches. its reccomended that you use a 4.5 inch backspacing on the Cougar. even the back. so get some longer wheelstuds and a spacer and they will work. same for the front, but rumor has it that youll have to roll the fenderlips on the front to get them to clear.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've been running some numbers and looking at some pictures. Looks like they will fit w/ some spacers. I think they will look great on the cougar. I going to go w/ the R code look w/ the scoop and the black stripe running into it. Silver will be the body color. I was going to keep the original black cherry but I'm having to repaint the whole thing because of a bad paint job from the PO. Black out the headlight doors, tint those windows, and I'm ready to go.

Austin

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
sounds sweet. let us all know how it works out. then take pics after its done. what year is your car again?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think that the backspacing is 5.95 inches and you will need a spacer to get them on there

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've got some 15 x 8.5" rims with 265-50-15 tires on my 70 cougar with 4.5" backspacing and i found it necessary to trim the front fender wheel opening @ the bottom where the fender brace bolts to it or else it would have rubbed on the tire when I was making a hard turn. the amount of material I removed was not enough to change the shape of the wheel opening drastically. Good luck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I can't wait to see how it looks.

Hey SS, they are going on a 68 DGS.

My car is definaly a resto-mod. I have 84 GT seats in it and a xr7 dash w/ autometer gauges. I can't wait to have it painted. Right now it is half marron and half primer. The rims on there right now are nice but not for me. They are some eagle rims w/ the holes that go all the way around. 15x8 in front and 15x10 in back so the rims in the back stick out a good bit. All the guys in the neighbor hood see how rough it is, and those tires and think it is race only car. Little do they know that it has no power what so ever. I've got my bluff on them all. We are talking stock 84 302/ w the old 289 manifolds. I'm guessing around 150 to 170 HP depending on how tired it is. I've got big plans but right now the C6 in my 71 F100 needs a rebuild so that is next on the list.

Austin

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I checked into getting spacers for the cougar to put the tires where they need to be. Ends up they are around $25 each and I will have to have longer studs put into the hubs. To top it all of the guy said the tires were no longer on the wheels so I would have to have them mounted. That is another $40 so its ending up about $150 more than I wanted to spend. I rather just get wheels in my offset. O well they would have been sweet.

Austin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts