Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or even 15" (if it would fit). I just realized that my beautifully refinished 14" stock rim with a brand new Kumho KR21 tire on it (which will be for sale if anyone needs/wants) is not going to fit my car as a spare as soon as I install the Cobra brakes, so the search is on.

I seem to recall Crown Vic? police type cars were said to have 16" steel wheels? Anyway, I am looking for something in a rim that will fit the Cougar and clear Cobra brakes.

Thanks for any ideas and or leads on a wheel.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since it is for a spare, wonder if
this would fit. Backspacing doesn't look good but who knows. Anyone have anything on such an idea?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
565 Posts
Maybe a newer Crown Victoria would work. I would run this same question in the tech section, this section is less traveled.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
You need at least a 17" steel wheel to go over 13" Cobra brakes. The 94-04 Cobras had a 17" mini-spare, they can be found for sale on the late model Mustang sites. The 05-up Mustang spare would likely clear OK as well, but has more positive offset, and may interfere with suspension parts on your classic. The 16" Crown Vic wheels aren't going to fit over unfortunately. A 17" full size wheel from a 06-up Crown Vic Police would clear, but they are very high offset like the 05-up Mustang wheels.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is there any Company who make 16" stamped steel wheel which is the exact replica of the original 14" steel wheels?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe there is a company making the styled steel wheels in larger than stock sizes. Perhaps another member will be able to tell us who.

BTW, regarding this thread, yesterday I finally located and am buying a 2005 Mustang 17" compact spare, $85 shipped. Was referred by one junk yard to another that had one and was closer to NJ. For some reason these seem to go for stupid money on feebay, mostly around $120 - $130 shipped. I was not about to pay that kind of money for s stupid donut tire.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
specialty wheel was bought by coker---i have not seen any ad for 16/17 from them---i have seen the mustang styled steel wheel in the larger sizes--the mustang/crown vic 15 " spare looks like a black steel wheel but is actually painted alum and very light---i'm not sure if that is true with the 17 spare
doctordesoto

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Check late-model Dodge (Charger) and Chrysler (300) or Jeep applications.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...The 05-up Mustang spare would likely clear OK as well, but has more positive offset, and may interfere with suspension parts on your classic...
Hoping it will be okay (since this is what I am buying), my logic was that since it is only a 4" wide wheel, even if all the offset was toward the inside it would still fit since my 17 x 8 Foose Legend's fit fine. Fingers crossed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts