Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In January of this year I purchased my Cougar. But the story started 15 years ago, when me and my wife went to look at a 1969 Cougar that was listed in the paper.I liked the car but it was to late to get the money out of the bank and it was a friday.On monday I called and the car had sold over the weekend.The next weekend I was at a friends shop and a guy he knew was working his car in my friends shop,he overheard me telling my friend about the Cougar and this guy tells me that he had bought the car.Well over the next 15 years every time I ran into him I would ask him if he wanted to sell it and the answer was always ,no his was going to fix it up. Well in january i called to see if he wanted to sell it because I was going to Buy a Cougar I had found but wanted to try one last time before I did. As you problably figured out he was ready to sell and told me to come by and see if I still wanted it. As soon as i walked into his shop I saw the dash (the doors had not been on the car for at least 13 years)and thought this could be an Eliminator. It had the hood scoop and factory rear spoiler and the vin# fit. I asked what he wanted for it and he says, you know its an Eliminator, and gives me his price. It was less than the cougar I was going to go look at and I immedatley told him "that sounds good i'll take it" while smilin from ear to ear.

I've had the Cougar home for awile now and put the doors back on, cleaned all the dirt out of the interior,replaced the steering wheel,got the engine running(put oil in the cylinders primed the oil pump got a new battery), and now I have started to do the body work, rust in the door corners and a little on the trunk along the chrome edge. The car has been pretty much left stock over the years except for a paint job in the 70's.I have alot of the documention on the car including a sells contract from 1970 when it was bought used by the guy who had it most of its life. Sorry about the long write up but I'm pretty proud of this catch.

031711 113.jpg elim01.jpg 031711 106.jpg elim02.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Great find! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Very nice. Looks to be in much better shape than most Eliminators that are popping up nowadays. Seems all the project cars have more rust than anybody but the ECI can handle.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Great find ! You should order a Marti Report and share it with us.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
steveseliminator.jpg
The car that started my love for Cougars
This picture is of my brothers first car vin# 9F91M571059(My dad saved info on every car he has bought). He got it in 1978. I wanted it when I turned 16 but my dad was not having it,after both my brothers racked up the tickets.

marti.jpg This is the first cougar I have owned, I did have a '65 Mustang fastback but no Cougars. Never found the right won that I could afford till now. I have all 5 original wheels with the 4 rings and 4 hubcaps and all the parts that are missing in the picture, including the original jack and lug wrench.I'm not planning on restoring it ,just put on a good paint job and have it for a driver to enjoy.

031711 109.jpg 031711 112.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
nice story and she looks like a solid start to a good project...glad it worked out for you after all those years...keep posting up some resto pics!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow! you have incredible patience. I know exactly how you feel, congratulations on your find.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Don't apologize for being long winded, true cougar nuts live for these kind of stories! Make sure and take lots of quality photos as you go, this story for sure would get printed when you finish. Welcome!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
View attachment 24984
The car that started my love for Cougars
This picture is of my brothers first car vin# 9F91M571059(My dad saved info on every car he has bought). He got it in 1978. I wanted it when I turned 16 but my dad was not having it,after both my brothers racked up the tickets.

View attachment 24985 This is the first cougar I have owned, I did have a '65 Mustang fastback but no Cougars. Never found the right won that I could afford till now. I have all 5 original wheels with the 4 rings and 4 hubcaps and all the parts that are missing in the picture, including the original jack and lug wrench.I'm planning on restoring it ,just put on a good paint job and have it for a driver to enjoy.

View attachment 24986 View attachment 24987
Neither of the Eliminators are in the registry, so I can't tell you if 9F91M571059 is still around. Looks like you have an excellent base to start with.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Makes sense, just wouldn't know why it would need one with a AM radio?

By the why when I was cleaning the area under the rear seat I found out my Cat is a good mouse killer, seven mice and counting, haven't taken out the front seats yet.

·
Registered
367 Posts
By the why when I was cleaning the area under the rear seat I found out my Cat is a good mouse killer, seven mice and counting, haven't taken out the front seats yet.
Quite the Kill story! :lolani:
Seriously though - nice start...and I bet it feels so good after waiting so long to finally have a cat to call your own. Congrats!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought I'd post some "show off" pictures now that the E-cat is where I can drive and enjoy her.
:jump3:
The day I brought her home.
111broughthome.jpg broughthome111.jpg

As it looks now.
090911 044.jpg 090911 046.jpg

Now I will just fix things as they go wrong and as I have the money to improve.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts